RGPV Old Exam Paper Material Science and Engineering Materials June 2007
B.E. (fourth semester) EXAMINATION, June, 2007
(Mechanical Engg. Branch)
Note: Attempt any five questions. All question carry equal marks.
1. (a) What is refectory material ? Explain important properties of a refectory material.
(b) Explain different types of iron and steel.
2. (a) Explain various points and line defects and crystals.
(b) How a dislocation generated in the material? Explain.
3. (a) What is the difference between cold and what metals?
(b) How mechanical properties are effected in cold and hot working? Explain.
4. (a) Describe barifly the mechanisms of ductile and brittle fracture.
(b) How figure fracture is initiated? Explain the mechanism of figure failure.
5. (a) Draw a neat sketch iron-carbon equilibrium Diagram. Integrate various phase and reaction on it.
(b) Write short notes on the following:
(iii) Eutectic reaction
(iv) Pertiectic reaction
6. (a) What information you get from a TTT curve ? Explain
(b) What do you understand by heat treatment of steels? Explain annealing and normalizing in detail .
7. (a) Write short notes on the following:
(b) What are plastic and composites? Explain various forms of plastics.
8. (a) Sketch stress –strain curve for mild steel and cast iron . Explain various points on it.
(b) Explain yielding and strain hardening in ductile material .