RGPV Previous Year Question Papers
BE Database Management System 5th Sem June 2009
Note: Attempt any five question . All question carry equal marks.
1. (a) What are the main components of database system ? List and describe the different types of
(b) Draw an E-R Diagram for an organization you are familiar with.
2. (a) Define the various data models and list the advantages and disadvantages of data models.
(b) Use the scenario by ‘’ A customer can make many payments but each payment is mad by only
one customer ‘’ as the basic.
3. (a) What are the major aspects in which the relational models deals ? Explain the following keys with
(I) Primary key (ii) Candidate key (iii) Super key (v) Foreign key
4. What is the signification of the views? Explain the different CODD’s rule.
5. Solved the following query with “SQL” and Relation algebra”. Consdier the given database –
S (S no, S name, Status, City)
P (P NO, P name, color, weight)
SP (S NO, P NO, Qty)
(i) Get supplier names for suppliers who supply Part p2.
(ii) Get supplier number for supplier who supply at least one red part.
(iii) Get supplier number for supplier who supply at least all those parts supplied by supplier S2.
(iv) Get supplier names for suppliers who supply do not Part p2.
(v) Get supplier number who supplies maximum quantity.
6. Write the above query with QUEL (tuple calculus) and QBE.
7. (a) What are basic normalization techniques ? Explain each with suitable database.
(b) Normalize the following database-
empno, ename, job, sal, doj, mgr, daptno, dname, loc.
8. (a) Explain the similarities and dissimilarities between BCNF and 3rd form.
(b) Normalize the following database –
(Sno, Sname, Pno, Pname, Qty).
9. (a) What is mean by Distributed DBMS and discuss the need 0f Distributed DBMS?
(b) Compare different
10.(a) What are the advantages and disadvantages of object oriented database ?
(b) How can be map a class to a relation ?