B.E. (fourth semester) EXAMINATION, June, 2010
(Comman for AU,IM,IP&ME Engg. Branch)
(MATERIAL SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING MATERIALS)
Note: (i) Attempt all questions.
(ii) All question carry equal marks.
(iii) Assuming missing data suitably.
1. What is steel? Enlist different types of steels. Also mention their composition, uses and
advantages over another.
2. Calculate APF, number of nearest neighbors’, for metals of BCC, FCC and HCP structures
3. Define cold and hot working. Differentiate them. What is the effect of hot and cold working of
metals on their mechanical propties?
4. (a) Explain stress-strain curve for mild steel.
(b) Explain the deformation by slip and twning .
5. With reference to iron carbon equilibrium diagram explain of the following
(v) Marten site
6. (a) Enlist Hume-Rothery’s rules.
(b) How does solidification of pure mettle take place?
7. Explain the following:
(ii) Case hardening
(iv) Mar tempering
8. (a) Explain precipitation hardening process with reference to AL alloy.
(B) Define the term hardenabilty. What factors affect hardenabiltY?
9. What do you mean by powder metallurgy? Explain all the steps involved for making a product
by powder metallurgy .
10. (a) With a neat sketch of figure testing machine explain method .
(b) Write down composition and properties of Bronze and Brass.