RGPV Old Question Papers BE Database Management System 5th Sem June 2010
RGPV Old Question Papers BE
Database Management System 5th Sem June 2010
Note: Attempt all questions. Internal choice is given.All question carry equal marks.
1. (a) Explain DBMS architecture.
(b) What is a relationship type .? Explain the difference among a relationship instance, a
relationship type and a relationship set.
2. (a) discuss the main categories of data models.
(b) What is an entity type ? What is an entity set ? Explain the differences among an entity type
And an entity set.
3. (a) Discuss the role of a high level data model in the data base design process.
(b) Discuss the entity integrity and referential integrity constraints. Why is each considered
4. (a) justify the following statement
(i) Handling null values is difficult
(ii) Relation must have a key
(iii) Weak entities do not have their own key attributes
(b) Discuss the conventions for displaying an ER schema as an ER diagram.
5. (a) Discuss the various type of inner join operations. Why is theta join required ?
(b) Explain the following terms to show your understanding of their essential feature:
(i) Relational calculus
(ii) Tuple calculus
(iii) Domain calculus
6. (a) What are the relational algebraic operations (other than set operations) developed specifically
for a relational database. ?
(b) consider the relational database:
Employee (empname ,street city )
Work (empname companyname salary )
Company (companyname city )
Manages (empname managername)
(i) Find the name of all employee who work for first bank corporation.
(ii) Find the names, street address and cities of residence of all employee who work for first bank
Corporation and earn more than 2,00,000 per month.
(iii) Find the name of all employee who live in the city as the companies for which they work.
7. (a) Explain the different level of normalization with a suitable example.
(b) What the functional dependency ? Explain the role of FD in the process of normalization.
8. (a) What is normalization ? Explain 1NF, 2NF, 3NF, and BCNF with simple example .
(b) What is multivalued dependency ? What type of constraints does it specify ? when doe it arise ?
9. (a) Discuss on two phase locking protocol and timestamps based protocol.
(b) Illustrate the issues to implement distributed database.
10. (a) State and explain the features of object oriented data model. Use banking application as an
(b) What is concurrency control ? How is it implemented in DBMS ? Explain .