RGPV Question Paper – (IV) SEM – June,2004 -Material Science and Engineering Materials
B.E. (fourth semester) EXAMINATION, June, 2004
(Mechanical Engg. Branch)
Note: Attempt any five questions. All question carry equal marks
1. (a) Explain with neat figure BCC and FCC Structure and calculate their atomic packing factors.
(b) Explain covalent and lonic bonds in solids.
2. (a) Explain the yield point phenomenon in case of mild steel.
(b) Explain various point and line defects with neat figure.
3. (a) Explain the Gibb’s phase rule.
(b) Explain eutectic, eutectoid and paratactic system.
4. Draw the iron carbon equilibrium diagram and explain the various transformations obtained on
5. (a) Discuss any two method of case hardening.
(b) Explain the following heat treatment process with their purpose.
(i) Annealing (ii) Normalising
(iii) Hardening (iv) Tempering
6. (a) Explain the properties and composition of brass and bronze alloy.
(b) What is meant by thermoplastics and thermosetting plastics? State their properties an
7. (a) How refectories are classified? Mention the various properties a refectory material should have.
(b) How do you classify crystals? Describe various crystals system.
8. Write short notes on any three of the following
(ii) TTT diagram
(iii) Fracture of ductile and brittle material under tension
(iv) Critically Resolved shear stress.