RGPV Question Papers – CS, EE, IT – IV SEM – Analog and Digital Communication – 2004
B.E. (fourth semester) EXAMINATION, Dec, 2004
(Common for CS, EC, EE &EI, IT Engg.)
ANALOG AND DIGITAL COMMUNICATION
Note: Attempt any five questions. All question carry equal marks.
1. (a) Define convolution State the prove time convolution theorem in Fourier transform.
(b) Find Fourier transform of the following function and sketch them.
(i) Sgn (t)
(ii) Cos ω0t u (t)
2. (a) Explain the working of envelope detector . What is the upper limit of the RC to ensure capacitor
Follows the envelope?
(b) A multiple tone modulating signal f(t) consisting of three frequency is given by :
f (t) = E1 cos ω1t + E2 cos ω2t + E3 cos ω3t
ω3 > ω2 > ω1 > and E1>E2>E3
The signal F (t) modulates a carrier ec = Ec dos wc t.
(i) Derive the expression for AM wave
(ii) Draw the signal sided spectrum and find the bandwidth of the AM wave
3. (a) How the FM signal can be generated with PM signal discuss in detail
(b) A 25 MHz carrier is modulated by 400 Hz audio sine wave. If the carrier voltage is 4volt and the
Maximum deviation is 10 kHz, write the equation of this modulated wave for (i) FM (ii) PM. If
the modulating frequency is now changed to 2 kHz, Write new equation FM and PM
4. (a) Draw the block diagram superhetrodyne receiver and explain its working in detail .
(b) (i) State sampling theorem
(ii) 24 Telephone channels each band limited to 3.4 kHz are to betimes division multiplexed by
Using PCM. Calculate the bandwidth of the PCM system for 128 quantization levels and 8 kHz
Sapling frequency .5. (a) Draw the schematic diagram of a delta modulation system and explain
its working. What are its limitation and how are they over come?
(b) Explain PCM technique. Explain why PCM is noise resistant and then other forms of pulse
6. (a) Draw and explain with block diagram of QPSK transmitter .
(b) Compare various digital carrier modulation schemes.
7. (a) Find te channel capacity in the channel shown in fig. bellow
(b) Apply Shannon- fano coding producer to find the coding efficiency for the following message ensemble:
[X] = [ X1 X2 X3 X4 X5 X6 X7 ]
[P] = [0.4 0.2. 0.12 0.08 0.08 0.08 0.04]
8. Write short notes on any two of the following:
(iii) Matched filter
(iv) SN performance of PCM