CTET Eligibility: Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) conducts the Central Teacher Eligibility Test (CTET) two times every year. Guidelines for the CTET Exam are fixed by the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE). Therefore, the CTET Eligibility Criteria are also framed by NCTE. Since there are hardly any modifications, CTET Eligibility Standards remain the same as the previous year.
Planning to register for CTET Exam 2021?
It is essential that you carefully go through the entire CTET Eligibility requirements and avoid being rejected for the test at a future stage.
CTET Eligibility Standards 2020-2021
CTET Exam has been conducted to recruit talented teachers for CBSE schools in India. The candidates have to Apply Online through ctet.nic.in. Before filling the application form, you must be very clear with CTET Eligibility, CTET Exam Pattern, and Syllabus. There are no major changes in the eligibility pattern as compared to the previous year. It is better to cross-check with the updated CTET Eligibility 2020-2021.
The Basic Eligibility for the CTET Exam is that aspirants should be at minimum age 17 years, passing 10+2 Exam or Graduation with minimum 50% marks including the teaching training Programmes like B.Ed.
10+2 (or) Graduation with teacher training
- CTET Exam comprises of two papers – Paper I and Paper II
- Candidates who wish to become a teacher for Classes 1 to 5 have to appear for Paper-I.
- Candidates who wish to become a teacher for Classes 6 to 8 have to appear for Paper-II.
- Paper I and Paper II are compulsory for applicants who wish to join as teachers for grades 1 to 8. Applicants must meet all the CTET Eligibility Criteria for both papers.
- The CTET minimum passing percentage is set at 60 percent for everyone.
Crack The Exam Easily and Chase Your Dream
Download Ultimate Study Materials to Boost Your Preparation
Aspects That Influence the CTET Eligibility Standards
Below are the major aspects that can influence the eligibility requirements of the CTET Exam:
- Age limit
- Academic Requirements
Check out the detailed explanation of Age Limit, Educational Qualifications, Reservations, and Nationality for Central Teacher Eligibility Test 2020-2021.
CTET Eligibility 2020-2021 | Age Limit & Nationality Criteria
- Applications for CTET 2020-2021 will be accepted only by the citizens of India.
- Although there is no specific restriction for age limit, the applicant must be at least 17 years of age to appear for the exam.
CTET Eligibility 2020-2021 | Educational Requirements
- Candidates must have completed their class 10th examination.
- Candidates must have cleared their class 12th exam along with class 10th.
- A minimum of 50% aggregate is required in Graduation as well as teacher training programs.
Academic Qualification for Primary Stage Teachers
To be qualified for being a Primary stage teacher from classes 1 to 5, applicants must meet any one criterion given below to fulfill their CTET Eligibility:
- Candidates must have passed 10+2 Exams from a recognized institute with minimum passing marks must be 50 percent marks
- The candidate must have passed or must be in the final year of the two-year teacher training diploma course in Elementary Education
- Candidates must have passed their 10+2 board examinations from a recognized institute with at least 45 percent marks (or) appearing in the final year of the 2-year Diploma
- Senior Secondary (or its equivalent) with at least 50% marks and passed or appearing in the final year of 4- year Bachelor of Elementary Education (B.El.Ed.).
- Graduation with 50% of Marks and Bachelor of Education (B. Ed)
Academic Qualifications for Elementary Stage Teachers
CTET Academic Qualification for Elementary Stage Teachers that is from Class 5 to Class 8 teachers must fulfill the mentioned eligibility requirements:
- Candidates must have NCTE recognized diploma/degree in teacher education
- Passed Graduation with Min 50% marks or Pursuing Final Year in 2-year Diploma Course for Elementary Education
- Graduation with at least 45% marks and passed or appearing in 1-year Bachelor in Education (B.Ed.), by the NCTE
- Senior Secondary (or it’s equivalent) with at least 50% marks or appearing in the final year of 4- year B. A/B.Sc. Ed or B.A.Ed./B.Sc.Ed.
- Graduation with 50% marks and Passed 1-year B.Ed. Program
CTET Eligibility 2020-2021 | Other Parameters and Reservation Criteria
CTET Reservation Criteria offer relaxation to candidates based on their castes. Candidates belonging to the reserved categories like Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST), Other Backward Class (OBC), and Differently Abled Sections are given a relaxation of five percent in qualifying marks.
- Diploma/Degree course in teacher education recognized by the NCTE will only be considered. However, in the case of Special Educations like the Diploma in Education and B.ED., a course recognized by RCT will be considered.
- A person with Diploma in Education (D.Ed.) should undergo a training program, after the appointment.
- All the above-qualified teachers can apply to languages like Social Science, Science, and Maths.
- A person who is pursuing any of the teacher education courses specified in the NCTE Notification will be eligible to apply for the CTET Exam.
- The Candidates should satisfy His/Her Eligibility to apply for the Exam and shall be personally responsible in case if he/she doesn’t meet eligibility.
Note: The candidate can attend the exam if any of his/her Eligibility meets. However, Final Eligibility will be verified by the Concerned Authority. Also, candidates can attend the exam any number of times.
Get Other Highly Important Essentials for CTET Exam
Frequently Asked Questions related to CTET Eligibility 2020-2021
What is the eligibility for CTET Exam?
The basic requirement is to pass senior secondary or graduate with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks and a relevant teacher training program.
Is there any age limit for the CTET exam?
No, there is no age limit for the CTET exam. This means that candidates belonging to any age can apply for the CTET exam.
What is the validity period of the CTET eligibility certificate?
Candidates securing 60 percent or more marks are awarded a CTET eligibility certificate. The eligibility certificate is valid for a period of seven years from the date of announcement of the CTET result.
Is it compulsory to pursue B.Ed. for the CTET exam?
No, it is not mandatory to pursue B.Ed. in order to apply for the CTET exam. Candidates can pursue any other recognized teacher-training program as well in order to be eligible for the CTET.
Is there any relaxation in educational qualifications for SC/ST candidates?
Yes, candidates belonging to reserved categories such as SC/ST/OBC/PwD are given a relaxation of five percent in the minimum marks required to be eligible for the CTET exam.
What is the minimum qualification for CTET?
CTET eligibility 2021 has been determined by CBSE for Paper 1 and Paper 2. The basic requirement is a Senior Secondary or Graduate Pass with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks and a relevant teacher training program.
How much relaxation is given to CTET reserved categories?
Relaxation up to 5% in the qualifying marks in the minimum CTET Educational Qualification for eligibility shall be allowed to the candidates belonging to reserved categories, such as SC/ST/OBC/Differently abled.
Does a candidate appear in both CTET Paper-1 and Paper-2?
A person who intends to be a teacher for both levels (classes I to V and classes VI to VIII) will have to appear in both the CTET papers (Paper I and Paper II).
Who is eligible to apply for CTET Paper-2?
Candidates that have completed Graduation with at least 50% marks and Bachelors in Education (B.Ed.).
We have covered the detailed guide on CTET Eligibility 2020-2021. Feel free to ask us any queries related to CTET in the comment section below.