RTU Syllabus Civil Engineering 8th Semester
WATER RESOURCES ENGINEERING-II
Regulation of works: Falls, Classification of falls, Design of falls, Distributory head regulator and cross-head regulator, Escape, bed bars.
Cross-Drainage Structure: Necessity of Cross-drainage structures, their types and selection, comparative merits and demerits, design of various types of cross-drainage structure-aqueducts, siphon aqueduct, super passage siphon, level crossing and other types.
Diversion Head works: Design for surface and subsurface flows, Bligh’s and Khosla’s methods. Selection of site and layout, different parts of diversion head works, types of weirs and barrages, design of weirs on permeable foundation, silt excluders and different types of silt ejectors. Energy dissipation.
Embankment Dams: Suitable sites, causes of failures, stability and seepage analysis, flownet, slope stability analysis, precautions of piping, principles of design of earth dams.
Gravity Dams: Force acting on a gravity dam, stability requirements, Instrumentation.
Spillways: Spillway capacity, flood routing through spillways, different types of spillways and gates, energy dissipation below spillways.
Hydro Power Plant: General features of hydroelectric schemes, elements of power house structure, selection of turbines, draft tube and setting of turbine, cavitations.
Reservoirs: Evaluation of impact of water projects on river regimes and environment. Reservoir sedimentation and water shed management.
Optimization: Introduction to optimization techniques and system approach. Introduction to G.I.S. and Computer aided irrigation design.
Reference Books :
1. Irrigation Water Power and Water Resource Engineering By KR Arora, Standard Publishers and Distributers
2. Water Resources Engineering by Modi ,Standard Publishers.
2. Fundamentals of Irrigation Engineering by Bharat Singh, Nem Chand Brothers, Roorkee.
DESIGN OF STEEL STRUCTURES–II
Design of gantry girder. Design of roof trusses including wind loading and purlin design, Introduction to Pre Engineered Buildings and tubular sections and their applications.
Design of plate girder: Design of welded and bolted sections. Connections for flange plate to flange angles and flange angles to web, etc. Design of welded connections. Web and flange splicing. Horizontal, Intermediate and Bearing stiffeners. Curtailment of plates. Shear strength determination by post critical and tension field action methods. End panel design options and procedure as per IS 800.
Bridges: Types of bridges, Loadings, Standard loading for railway bridges, Design of Deck type plate-girder bridges, design of its bracings and frames.
Design aspects of foot over bridges. Design of through type truss girder bridges including stringer design, cross girder design, main truss members, portal and sway bracings etc.
Water tanks, circular tanks with segmental bottoms, rectangular tanks, pressed steel tanks, design of staging.
Reference Books :
1. Design of Steel Structures by S. Bhavikatti, I.K. International Pvt. Ltd.
2. Design of Steel Structures by V.L Shah, Structures Publications.
3. Limit State Design of Steel Structures: S K Duggal- Tat Mc Graw Hill
4. Design of Steel Structures by N. Subrananian, Oxford University Press.
5. Design of Steel Structures by B.C. Punmia Laxmi Publication
6. Design of Steel Structures Vol. II by Ram Chandra, Standard Publishers.
PROJECT PLANNING & CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT
FINANCIAL EVALUATION OF PROJECTS AND PROJECT PLANNING: Capital investment proposals, criterions to judge the worth whileness of capital projects viz. net present value, benefit cost ratio, internal rate of return, Risk cost management, main causes of project failure. Categories of construction projects, objectives, project development process, Functions of project management, Project management organization and staffing, Stages and steps involved in project planning, Plan development process, objectives of construction project management.
PROJECT SCHEDULING: Importance of project scheduling, project work breakdown process – determining activities involved, work breakdown structure, assessing activity duration, duration estimate procedure, Project work scheduling, Project management techniques – CPM and PERT networks analysis, concept of precedence network analysis.
PROJECT COST AND TIME CONTROL: Monitoring the time progress and cost controlling measures in a construction project, Time cost trade-off process: direct and indirect project costs, cost slope, Process of crashing of activities, determination of the optimum duration of a project, updating of project networks, resources allocation.
CONTRACT MANAGEMENT: Elements of tender operation, Types of tenders and contracts, Contract document, Legal aspects of contracts, Contract negotiation & award of work, breach of contract, determination of a contract, arbitration.
SAFETY AND OTHER ASPECTS OF CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT: Causes and prevention of accidents at construction sites, Safety measures to be followed in various construction works like excavation, demolition of structures, explosive handling, hot bitumen work. Project Management Information System – Concept, frame work, benefits of computerized information system. Environmental and social aspects of various types of construction projects.
Reference Books :
1. Construction Project Management by K.K. Chitkara, Tata Mc Graw Hills.
2. Project Management by Modder & Phillph, CBS Publishers.
Introduction: Type of bridges & classification of road & railways bridges. IRC & Railway loadings for bridges, wind load & Earthquake forces. Steel bridges Design of through type & deck type steel bridges for IRC loading. Design of deck type & through type truss bridges for railway loadings.
Reinforced concrete culverts & bridges: Reinforced concrete slab culvert, T-beam bridges-courbons & Hendry-Jaegar methods. Design of balanced cantilever bridge.
Prestressed Concrete bridges: Prestressed & Post stressed concrete bridges Design of deck slab & girder sections.
Bearings: Bearings for slab bridges and girder bridges. Elastomeric bearings, design concepts as per IRC 83 (Part II).
Joints: Expansion joints.
Reference Books :
1. Design of Bridge Structures by T.R. Jagadeesh & M.A. Jayaram, Prentice Hall Of India (PHI).
2. Bridge Engineering by Victor, Oxford and IBH Publishers.
3. Design of Bridges by Krishna Raju, Oxford and IBH Publishers.
4. Bridge Super Structures by Raj Gopalan, Standard Publishers & Distributers.
5. Goncrete Bridge Practice by Raina V.K., Tata Mc Graw Hill Co.
6. Bridge Engineering by Ponnuswamy, Tata Mc Graw Hills.
ADVANCED FOUNDATION ENGINEERING
Shallow Foundation: Methods of estimation of bearing capacity, computation of bearing capacity factors, Effect of eccentric and inclined loads, effect of water table on bearing capacity, Terzaghi, Vesic, Hansen, Moyerhof’s analysis, Bearing capacity of stratified soils. IS code recommendations for minimum depth, factor of safety, design for local shear.and general shear failure.
Settlement Under Foundation: Methods of estimation of settlement of footings. Limits of settlements for various structures, Indian Standard Code Provisions (IS: 1904, 6403, 8009). Determination of allowable bearing capacity as per IS code. Schemartman’s method, Dee beer’s and Mortin method of finding out settlement from static cone penetration test. Methods of finding out bearing capacity from plate load test, standard penetration test data.
Pile Foundation: types of pile and their use, modes of failure. Bearing capacity and settlement of pile foundation. Types of piles, Allowable load, Pile load test, Dynamic and static formulae. Bearing Capacity factors. Pile group bearing capacity and settlement. Negative skin friction. Behavior of piles under lateral loading. Winkler’s assumption. Pile resistance and deflection under lateral loads, elastic method, Brooms method.
Foundation on Difficult Soils: Collapsible soil; identification, Collapse settlement: foundation design. Sanitary land fills settlement of sanitary land fill.
Expensive soils: Behaviour of expansive soil, foundation practices, under- reamed piles. Methods of finding out load carrying capacity of under reamed piles in clayey and sandy soil. Provision of IS 2911 Part III-1980 for design of under-reamed pile foundations.
Raft foundation: Common types of raft, combined footing. Bearing capacity of raft, differential settlement of raft; semi empirical method of design of raft foundation.
Well foundations: design and construction. Bearing capacity, settlement and lateral resistance. Tilts and shifts, IS and IRC codes methods.
Reference Books :
1. Basic & Applied Soil Mechanics by Ranjan & Rao, New Age International Publishers.
2. Geotechnical Engineering by Gulhati & Dutta , Tata Mc Graw Hills, Delhi.
3. Design Aids in foundation Engineering by Kaniraj, Tata Mc Graw Hills, Delhi.
EARTHQUAKE RESISTANT CONSTRUCTION & DESIGN
Introductory Seismology: Various terminology related with earthquake, Causes of earthquake, plate tectonics, Tsunami. Seismic wave propagation. Magnitude, intensity & energy of earthquake, magnitude & intensity scales, classifications of earthquakes, Seismic zoning case histories of earthquakes.Seismic hazards, induced hazards.
Earthquake recording, Seismic instruments, Seismographs & Seismograms. Basic concept of liquefaction and isolation. Introduction to various IS related codes. Structural systems, Effects of earthquake on buildings in general, structural and nonstructural failures.
Dynamic characteristics of buildings, natural period of vibration, damping, stiffness etc.
Seismic performance of traditionally built masonry constructions, typical failure mechanism of masonry buildings under earthquakes.
IS 4326: 1993: Planning consideration & architectural concept, provisions for earthquake resistant construction/ seismic strengthening of masonry constructions.
Seismic performance of reinforced concrete buildings. Plan, elevation & stiffness irregularities & their effects. Typical earthquake damages of RC constructions, short column effect, soft storey effect, strong column-weak beam analogy. IS 13920: 1993: Ductile detailing of reinforced concrete buildings and shear wall concept.
Seismic design philosophy, IS 1893 (part I):2002 codal provisions : Load combinations, Design lateral loads, response reduction factors, structural modeling of building frames, equivalent load method for earthquake analysis of multistory frames.
Reference Books :
1. Structural Dynamics by Anil K Chopra , Pearson Education.
2. Dynamics of Structures by Clough & Penzin, Mc Graw Hill Book Co.
3. Earthquake Engineering by Pankaj Agarwal & Manish Shree Khande, Prentice Hall of India.
4. Earthquake Tips by C.V R. Murthy, IIT Kanpur.
5. Earthquake-Resistant Design of Steel Structures by Duggal, Oxford University Press.
PROFESSIONAL PRACTICES AND ESTIMATING
1. Estimates – Methods of building estimates, types; site plan, index plan, layout plan, plinth area, floor area Technical sanction, Administrative approval; estimate of buildings, roads, earthwork and R.C.C. works.
2. Analysis of rates- for earthwork, concrete work, D.P.C., stone masonry,, plastering, pointing and roadwork.
3. Specifications- For different classes of building and Civil Engineering works.
4. Types of contracts – Tenders, tender form, submission and opening of tenders, measurement book, muster roll, piecework agreement and work order.
6. Valuation of real estate.
DESIGN OF FOUNDATIONS
1. Design of isolated shallow footings, combined footings, raft foundations.
2. Design of pile foundations.
3. Design of wells and cassions.
4. Design of machine foundation.
5. Design of retaining structures etc.
Select the University or College and choose your branches to get all of these FREE