UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2020: Know Age Limit, Educational Qualifications And More
University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test invites students of different streams to appear for the posts of Assistant Professors and Research Scholars.
However, there are some rules that must be followed. You can check the complete guide on UGC NET eligibility criteria 2020 from this article.
You should know that UGC NET is a national-level exam conducted in order to select candidates for only Assistant Professor or both Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) and Assistant Professor in Indian universities and colleges.
You should fulfilled the certail eligibilty criterias as prescribed by NTA to fill the online application form.
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2020
Here you can check the Eligibilty Criteria for UGC NET exam 2020.
Candidates must make sure that they fulfill all the eligibility criteria for UGC NET before applying for it.
You must have educational qualifications as given below before applying for UGC NET:
- Candidates who have completed their master or Equivalent Degree securing at least 55 55% aggregate marks (without rounding off) – For General/General EWS Category Candidates
- 50% aggregate marks (without rounding off) in master’s degree or Equivalent Degree – For ST/SC/OBC/ PWD/ Transgender Category Candidates
- PhD. degree holders whose master’s level examination has been completed by 19th September 1991 (irrespective of the date of declaration of result) shall be eligible for a relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks for appearing in NET.
- No hard copies or proof of any certificates/ documents are required to submit to the National Testing Agency in support of eligibility.
- The NTA does not verify applications submitted by the candidates. Therefore, the candidature will be completely provisional with respect to the eligibility criteria.
- NTA or UGC may declare the candidature null at any stage of the eligibility criteria is not met, and legal actions might be taken against the applicants.
Age Limit For UGC NET 2020 June Exam
You can check the age limit for the NTA UGC NET 2020 June exam from below.
You should be within 30 years to qualify for the Junior Research Fellowship registration of the exam on June 1, 2020.
- Students from OBC-NC, SC, ST, PwD categories, Transgenders and women applicants are given a relaxation of up to 5 years in age limit.
- Candidates who are still pursuing their research are also given an age relaxation equivalent to the time spent on the research work in their respective post of Master’s Degree.
- Researchers are given a relaxation of up to 5 years only on the submission of a certificate from the respective authority.
- L.L.M. Degree holders will be allowed an upper age limit extension of 3 years.
- Armed forces candidates will be given the advantage of 5 years of relaxation with respect to their duration of service in the armed forces up to 1st June 2020.
- In all, the total age relaxation on the criteria mentioned above shall not go beyond five years under any circumstances.
- Total age relaxation on the above ground(s) shall not exceed five years under any circumstances.
- However, for the post of Assistant Professor, there is no upper age limit for the applicants.
Here you can check the important instructions for the candidates of various categories.
Economically Weaker Section (EWS)
According to the NTA, candidates with the EWS category are issued EWS certificates by the Competent Authority.
This action has been taken regarding the implementation of reservation for admission in Central Educational Institutions.
Candidates are required to mention their category in the form, but they don’t have to upload the EWS Category Certificate, but it is necessary to have it at the time of admission/appointment.
Ascribe will be identified by the Centre Superintendent on the request that is received from the candidate.
You will be allowed to meet the scribe a day before the examination to verify it’s suitability.
You are neither required to send any certificates/documents in support of their eligibility nor printout of their UGC NET Application Form (Confirmation Page) to NTA.
UGC NET Reservation Criteria:
Marks for General Candidates: At least 40% in Paper I, 40% in Paper-II & 50% in Paper III
Marks for OBC/PWD/SC/ST Candidates: A minimum of 35% in Paper I, 35% in Paper-II & 40% in Paper III.
- No. of seats required for each category as per reservation:
- 15% of the total seats which is equal to 480 seats are reserved for the SC students
- 7.5% of the total seats which is equal to 240 are reserved for the ST students
- 27% seats which are equal to 864 seats are reserved for the OBC students
- 3% which is equal to 960 seats are reserved for persons with disability PWD category while 47.5% which is equal to 1520 seats are available for the General category students.
Exemption for Assistant Professor
Here you can check the special exemption for Assistant Professor Post
NET/SET/SLET shall remain the minimum eligibility condition for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professors in Universities/Colleges/ Institutions.
In this regard, exemption from NET/SET/SLET will be governed by UGC regulations and amendments notified in the Gazette of India from time to time.
If you have passed the UGC/CSIR/JRF examination prior to 1989 are also exempted from appearing in NET.
If you have cleared the State Eligibility Test (SET) accredited by UGC for eligibility for Assistant Professor held prior to 1st December 2002, are exempted from appearing in NET for Assistant Professor anywhere in India.
For SET held from 1st December 2002 onwards, the qualified candidates are eligible to apply for the post of Assistant Professor only in the universities/ colleges situated in the state from where they have cleared their SET.
Other Important Study Materials for UGC NET Exam
You should have the following study materials to boost your exam preparation for the NTA UGC NET exam.
Click on the link to access other study materials related to the UGC NET exam.
- UGC NET Syllabus
- UGC NET Subjects
- UGC NET Books
- UGC NET Exam Pattern
- UGC NET Date Sheet
- UGC NET Admit Card
- UGC NET Exam Centre
- UGC NET Exam Analysis
- UGC NET Answer Key
- UGC NET Result
- UGC NET Cut Off
- UGC NET Certificate
- UGC NET Career Scopes
- UGC NET Salary Structure
FAQs of UGC NET Eligibility Criteria
Here you can check the important Frequently Asked Questions related to UGC NET Eligibility Criteria
- What is the minimum qualification for unreserved category candidates in UGC-NET June 2020?
You have to secure a minimum of 55% aggregate marks in master’s degree or an equivalent examination can appear in the UGC NET exam.
- Are B.Tech graduates eligible for the UGC NET Exam?
B.Tech graduate candidates can appear in CSIR NET Exam. To appear in UGC NET Exam, candidates must have a master’s degree or equivalent from a recognized university.
- What is the age limit/relaxation criteria for candidates appearing in UGC-NET June 2020?
There is no age limit for the post of Assistant Professor in NTA NET. But if you are applying for JRF, then the maximum age limit is 30 years.
- Is there any exemption available for the eligibility for Assistant Professor?
Qualifying in NET/SET/LSET is the minimum eligibility condition to be appointed as an Assistant Professor. Officials will notify you in regard to the exemption of these exams that will be governed by UGC Regulations.