Staff Selection Commission – Combined Graduate Level Examination, commonly known as SSC CGL is an examination conducted to recruit staff to various posts in ministries, departments and organizations of the Government of India. There lakhs of candidates applying every year for SSC CGL vacancies. SSC CGL 2019 Tier I examination is scheduled from July 25 to August 20, 2019. The applications will be available from March 2019. Here in the blog we have provided the detailed SSC CGL Syllabus and Exam Pattern for 2019 examination.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern 2019
Candidates are selected based on 4-Tier selection process of SSC in which the fourth tier would be of qualifying nature only. Tier I consists of 100 MCQs based on general aptitude that needs to be completed in one hour.
Tier II is a descriptive test consisting of two papers Mathematics and English with 200 marks each. The total duration for completing the test is 2 hours.
Tier III is a subjective exam conducted for 1 hour and Tier IV is a typing test/computer proficiency test. Before applying for the examiantion, candidates are suggested to go through the SSC CGL Salary and Job Profile.
|Mode of Examination||Online (Except Tier III)|
|Number of Questions||100 (in Tier 1 and Mathematics Tier II), 200 (English Tier II)|
|Maximum Marks||200 in Tier I, 400 in Tier II, 100 in Tier III|
|Duration||1 Hour (Tier I), 2 Hours (Tier II), 1 Hour (Tier III)|
|Sections||4 (In Tier I)|
- Tier 1 and Tier 2 would only comprise objective type questions.
- Tier 3 paper would be subjective in nature.
- Tier 4 would be a skill test of qualifying nature.
SSC CGL Syllabus 2019
SSC CGL is conducted in four tiers. Hence, we have provided Tier-wise syllabus for the examination.
SSC CGL Tier I Syllabus
The sections involved in SSC CGL 2019 Preliminary exam are General Awareness, Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude and English Language.
SSC CGL Tier II Syllabus
Tier II is an online examination consisting of Multiple Choice Questions. The major sections asked in Mains Exam are Quantitative Aptitude, English Language and comprehension, Statistics, General Studies (Finance and Economics).
SSC CGL Tier III Syllabus
- Tier III examination is a descriptive exam conducted to test the writing skills of the candidate in English/Hindi.
- It is an offline mode of examination and students are advised to write essays, applications, letter, etc in this exam.
- The total marks of the examination is 100 and duration to complete exam is 60 minutes.
- The total time allotted for PWD category candidates is increased to 80 minutes.
- Tier III paper is attended by candidates who have applied for “Statistical Investigator Grade II” & “Compiler”.
SSC CGL Tier IV Syllabus
Tier IV examination consists of skill test that is required for many Government posts across the country.
- DEST (Data Entry Speed Test)- For the post of Tax Assistant (Central Excise and Income Tax), DEST Exam through SSC CGL exam is conducted to check the typing speed of the candidate. The candidates are given an article in English which they have to type on Computer. A candidate is required to type 2000 words in 15 minutes.
- CPT (Computer Proficiency Test)- Word Processing, Spread Sheets and Generation of slides are the three modules that are important for this exam and the commission demands a candidate to be proficient in it for the post of CSS, MEA, Inspector (Central Excise), Inspector (Preventive Officer), Inspector (Examiner).
As there is a lot of time for examination, candidates can start their preparation with SSC CGL Preparation books available online. Hope our blog gave you complete details on SSC CGL syllabus and exam pattern. Stay tuned for more information regarding the exam.