CAT Preparation Tips 2019: Are you an MBA aspirant? Applying for the CAT Exam 2019? CAT is one of the topmost entrance examinations for admission into an MBA degree. The Common Admission Test is taken up by a large number of candidates due to the high demand in Management degrees. Career Opportunities after doing MBA in India is tremendous.
More than 2.4 lakh candidates take up CAT exam for 4000 seats in 20 IIMs. The number of applicants increases each year due to the high demand for an MBA degree. This year the CAT exam is scheduled on November 24, 2019, and the CAT Application Process is yet to begin.
As there is an ample amount of time it is high time for candidates who are applying for CAT Exam to begin their preparation. Worried about CAT coaching? Thinking how to crack the CAT exam with a high score? Well guys, to ease out your worries we have provided the detailed CAT Preparation Tips for 2019 exam.
These tips and tricks are prepared by a panel of experts. So, candidates who are appearing for CAT 2019 can go through our blog to know the preparation strategy and CAT study plan.
Before knowing the preparation tips, let us take a look at the CAT Exam Pattern. Below is the table comprising of the exam pattern.
|CAT Exam Pattern|
|No. of Sections||3|
|Exam duration||3 hrs. (1 hr./ section)|
|Ques. with Negative Marking||75 (MCQs)|
|Ques. w/o Negative Marking||25 (non-MCQs)|
|Correct Answer||+3 marks|
|Wrong Answer||-1 mark|
When to Start CAT Preparation?
Well for proper CAT exam preparation, one must require 6-9 months. With complete dedication and hard work, candidates can crack CAT exam with high score.
Below is the time frame required for CAT preparation
- Learning concepts and knowing the foundation: 3-4 months
- Revision and Practicing: 2-3 months
- Attempting Mock Tests: 1-2 months
To become a master in any topic, knowing the basics is a must. Candidates must be thorough with the basics and know their strong and weak areas.
CAT Preparation Strategy
Wondering how to start CAT Preparation? Well, one must follow a dedicated preparation plan to score more in the upcoming CAT Exam 2019. Here, we have listed out detailed CAT Preparation Tips for candidates who are appearing for CAT Exam 2019.
You have to create a proper preparation strategy to crack CAT exam. By following these CAT Tips and Tricks candidates can score more without any CAT Coaching.
- First and foremost important tip is to know the detailed CAT Exam Pattern and Syllabus. Make sure you are aware of the topics which are asked in the CAT Exam.
- Make a list of topics in which you are strong and weak separately.
- Start studying regularly with the right CAT Books available online. Make sure you have the right preparation materials which will help you to score more.
- Start learning the concepts of each topic. The CAT syllabus mainly includes Class X and XII level mathematics, logical reasoning, and English.
- Practice with a timer and do not use a calculator, especially while practicing Data Interpretation.
- Practice each topic properly. This will help in assessing your strengths and weakness.
- Instead of solving 20 questions of one type, solve 4 questions of 5 types from each topic.
- Start taking up CAT Mock Tests after completion of studying the topics. Don’t lose hope if you are scoreless. Mocks are for you to recognize the areas you need to put more efforts in.
- Analyze each mock test you have taken. The more mocks you take, the better the strategy you will be able to form. It is recommended to take a minimum of 1 and maximum of 3 mock tests in a week.
- Once you finish the entire syllabus, focus primarily on mock tests and sectional tests.
- In the last 2 months, do not prepare for any new topics. Work on strengthening the ones you are good at.
- Attempt CAT previous year question papers. Question papers will help you to know different types of questions.
- Take adequate breaks, and get enough sleep while preparing for CAT.
Section-Wise CAT Preparation Tips
As you are now aware of how to prepare for CAT exam with detailed tips and tricks provided above, here is the section-wise preparation plan. You have to know the CAT syllabus and exam pattern to prepare section wise . The CAT exam includes three sections- Quantitative Ability, Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning, Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension. So, here is the CAT Strategy plan for each section separately. Go through them and start preparing accordingly.
Quantitative Ability mainly covers the following areas of mathematics:
- Modern Mathematics
While preparing for QA, candidates must follow these tips mentioned below to score more:
- Set the foundation and brush up the concepts. If you don’t know the basics of any topic, you cannot solve for complex questions. So, make sure you are strong in basics.
- Learn time-saving techniques or tricks like tables till 40, squares up to 30, cubes up to 20 and percentage equivalent of fractions till 25.
- Maintain a formula book. Note down all the essential and direct formulas and go through them regularly.
- Practice solving questions within 2 minutes. This is the average time you get to spend on each question in Quantitative Ability.
- When you attempt QA in mock tests, break the entire section into three parts as per the difficulty level of the question: easy, moderate, and difficult.
- You need to solve more questions in less time. It is better to solve 3 easy questions than 1 difficult question.
- Lastly, practice a lot. More you practice, more you can be master in this section.
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
Since the last two years, this section is proved to be the toughest among all. Due to the absence of the syllabus makes this section difficult. So, practice is the only way to ace this section. Here are tips to score more in this section.
- Be familiar with all kinds of graphs and charts in DI and puzzles in LR.
- Practice quick calculation. Learn the percentage equivalent of fractions which are a big time saver
- Solve puzzles like Sudoku and crossword to sharpen your grey cells.
- Attempt 20 questions or 4 sets each of DI and LR daily. Each set usually takes 10-15 minutes to solve. Try to solve them within 8-12 minutes.
Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
This section is designed to mainly test the English skills of a candidate. The English section mainly involves the following topics
- Critical Reasoning
- Grammar & Usage
- Sentence Correction
- Word usage
- Fill in the blanks
- Para Jumble
- Para completion
- Para Summary
Go through the below tips for English and Verbal to score more.
- Reading is the best way to get better in this section. Read fiction and non-fiction novels, newspapers, business magazines, etc.
- Learn the basics of grammar like articles, adjectives, tenses, modifiers, etc. and practice them as well.
- Prepare cue cards. Put down all the new words, you come across, along with its meaning. Revise these cards regularly.
- Get in the habit of reading questions first instead of passages. Just give a glance to these questions and get an idea of the difficulty level.
- Then sweep through the passage quickly and assess how easily you understand it.
- Make a combination of both. Attempt the ones with more straightforward questions first.
So, we hope these tips can help you to kickstart your preparation for CAT without regular coaching. You can prepare well by yourself and score more in the CAT 2019. Hurry up, guys. Start preparing well in advance so, you can have enough time for revision. Stay tuned to our site for the more latest information regarding CAT exam. For any doubts or sharing your feedback, you can comment in the below comment box.