IIT Kanpur Syllabus for Engineering Geosciences Civil Engineering
IIT Kanpur Syllabus for Engineering Geosciences
Course content: Introduction to geosciences in civil engineering, Plate tectonics (Continental drift, sea-floor spreading, types of plates and plate motion); Introduction to rock forming minerals (silicate structure, physical and chemical properties of minerals); Igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks (texture; engineering properties); Geological Structures (fold, fault, joint, unconformity; engineering applications); Seismology and Earthquakes, magnitude and intensity, seismic hazard, earthquake prediction; Types of mass wasting events; Geological time scale and principles of stratigraphy; Weathering and soil formation; Surface processes and landforms (rivers, coastal, and groundwater), Environmental geology; Geology of India, Criteria for site selection of dams, tunnels, waste disposal.
Suggested text and reference material:
- Understanding Earth (5th edition) by Grotzinger, Jordan, Press and Siever, Freeman and Company.
- Geology Applied to Engineering by Terry West, Prentice Hall.
- Dynamic of Earth by Skinner and Porter
- Structural Geology by M. P. Billings
- Essentials of Geology by Frederick Lutgens