RGPV Information Technology 6th Sem Syllabus
Rajiv Gandhi Proudyogiki Vishwavidyalaya
Branch:- Information Technology Course:- IT 601 Unix And Shell Programming
General Overview of the System: System structure, user perspective, O/S services assumption about Hardware The Kernel and buffer cache architecture of Unix O/S, System concepts. Kernel data Structure, System administration. Buffer headers, Structure of the buffer pool. Scenarios for retrieval of the buffer, Reading and writing disk block, Advantage and disadvantage of buffer cache.
Internal Representation of Files: Inodes, Structure of regular, Directories conversions of a path name to an inode. Super block. Inode assignment to a new file. Allocation of disk blocks. Open read write file and record close. File creation. Operation of special files change directory and change root, change owner and change mode. STAT and FSTAT, PIPES mounting and unmounting files system. Link Unlink
Structures of Processes and process control: Process states and transitions layout of system memory, the context of a process, manipulation of process address space, Sleep process creation/termination. The user Id of a process, changing the size of a process. Killing process with signals, job control, scheduling commands: AT and BATCH,TIME,CORN.
Introduction to shell scripts: shell Bourne shell, C shell, Unix commands, permissions, editors, grep family, shell variables, scripts, metacharacters and environment, if and case statements, for while and until loops. Shell programming.
Introduction of Awk and peri Programming: Awk pattern scanning , BEGIN and END patterns, Awk arithmetic and variables, and operators, functions, peri; the chop() function, variable and operators.Networking tools:Resolving IP addressing, TELNET, FTP, Socket programming, introduction of Linux structure .
1.M.J. Bach “Design of UNIX O.S. “, PHI Learning
2. Y.Kanetkar “Unix shell programming”, BPB Pub.
3. B.W. Kernighan & R. Pike, “The UNIX Programming Environment”, PHI Learning
4. S.Prata “Advanced UNIX: A Programming’s Guide”, BPB Publications, New Delhi.
5. Beck “Linux Kernel, Pearson Education, Asia.
6. Sumitabha Das ” Unix concepts and Applications”.Tata McGraw Hill,Second Edition,2001
Suggested list of experiments
Installation of Unix/Linux
1..Study about the General Purpose utilities a) Banner b)cal c)date d (calender e)tty f)bc g) spell & fspell
2.Implement WE Command in C 3.Implement Grep command in C 4.Implement More command in C 5.Implement Link & Unlink in C 6.Implement LS command in C 7.Study about the Unix system variables
8.Write the program to find biggest among 3 numbers using shell
9. Write a shell program to find factorial
10. Write a shell program to check the given string is Palindrome (or) not
11. .Write a shell program to check whether the user is logged (or) not
12. Write a shell program to wish the user those who login to the system
13. Write your own profile
14. Write a shell program to find the biggest among numbers using positional parameters
15. Write a shell program to sort the strings using arrays