GATE Marking Scheme 2020

GATE Marking Scheme 2020

GATE Marking Scheme 2020
GATE Marking Scheme 2020

The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is an All India National Level exam conducted in computer-based mode. The GATE exam is conducted for 24 disciplines. The question paper consists of 2 types of questions- MCQs and NAT. The GATE exam is taking up most of the graduate as many government organizations ask for GATE score. As the GATE 2019 is successfully completed, now it is time to know about GATE 2020. Before proceeding with GATE Preparation, it is important to know about GATE Marking scheme. We have provided complete details regarding the marking scheme for GATE 2020. Go through the blog to know more.

Highlights of GATE Exam Pattern

Exam Mode Online
Number of Questions 65
Total Marks 100
Type of Questions MCQs and NAT
Number of Sections

3 (General Aptitude, Engineering Mathematics* and Subject Specification Section)

*In place of Engineering Mathematics, Chemistry will be compulsory for Life Science (XL) Paper

Sectional Time-Limit No

Exam Pattern along with paper code

Paper Code

Exam Pattern

CE, CS, EC, AE, AG, BT, CH, ME, MN, MT, EE, IN, TF, XE, PE, ST and PI
  • GA (General Aptitude) – 15%
  • Engineering Mathematics – 15%
  • Subject of the Paper –  70%
AR, CY, GG, EY, XL, PH and MA
  • GA (General Aptitude) – 15%
  • Subject of the Paper – 85%

GATE Marking Scheme 2020

GATE papers with the codes AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF and XE will include a compulsory sections of Engineering mathematics (15% of total marks) and General Aptitude (15% of total marks). The rest of the paper (70%) will be based on the subject selected by the candidate.

GATE papers with the codes AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, ST, and XL will consist of the compulsory section of General Aptitude (15% of the total marks) and the remaining 85% will be for the selected subject.

Paper Code General Aptitude Marks Subject Marks Total Marks Negative Marking
CS, CY, EC, EE, CE, CH, AR, AE, AG, EY, BT, GG, IN, ME, MA, PH, PI, TF, MN, MT, PE, ST 15 85 100
  • 1/3rd Mark will be deducted for 1 mark question
  • 2/3rd Mark will be deducted for 2 marks question
XE (Section A +

any two sections)

15 15+2*35 100
XL (Section P +

any two sections)

15 25+2*30 100
  • There is no provision of negative marking in NAT questions.
  • MCQs carrying 1 marks each, 1/3 marks would be deducted as a penalty of marking the wrong answer.
  • For questions carrying 2 marks, 2/3 marks would be deducted for marking an incorrect answer.

Thus, the current GATE Marking scheme is as explained above. Candidates can go through this and start preparing well for the upcoming GATE Exam 2020. You can refer to the best GATE Preparation Books available online.

  [related_books catid=”242″ product_type=”ebook” algo=”Latest”]

Leave a Comment