The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs at Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee) administer GATE exam every year on rotational basis. The Organizing Institute for GATE 2016 is Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
New Features in GATE 2016
- Unlike last year where students were allowed to get their own Calculators, GATE 2016 organizing committee has decided to provide an online virtual calculator to all examinees during examination. Hence, the students need not carry a physical calculator. The online virtual calculator will be put on the website for practice before the examination.
- Post completion of GATE 2016 examination, students can challenge answer keys as per official records for a short time. Every answer key can be challenged after paying a nominal fee.
- There have been changes in the exam syllabus of many streams. Please refer to the Syllabus section provided on the GATE 2016 website.
- Examination for a new stream – Petroleum Engineering (PE) has been introduced in GATE 2016. With this, the total number of papers is 23.
GATE Free Sample Papers :
- Candidates can now download the Sample Papers from here to prepare better
- GATE last 5, 10 year question papers with solutions for all branches are available here in free
- GATE 2016 Aspirants can try once, Click here to download : Grab now! get GATE Question Papers with Solutions for FREE!
Important Features of GATE 2016
- Same as last year, all the Papers in GATE 2016 will be conducted by an ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT). The online examination will contain Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) for which the right choice has to be selected and Numerical Answer Type Questions (NAT) for which numerical answers must be keyed in by the candidate using the virtual keypad.
- GATE 2016 examination will be held on weekend (Saturday and Sunday) between 30th Jan 2016 and 7th Feb 2016 during forenoon and afternoon sessions. The Examination will be held in multiple sessions for some of the papers in GATE 2016. The complete examination schedule will be notified by the GATE 2016 organizing committee later.
- The entire process of filling up application form, uploading of certificates/ Documents etc. will be strictly online.
- The payment of application fees would be through payment at bank counters using e-challan or through online electronic mode.
- Candidates can download their admit card from GATE 2016 website.
GATE 2016 Structure
- The candidate can apply to only one of the 23 streams.
- The candidate can choose any paper according to the admission plan, keeping in mind the eligibility criteria of interested institutions. The paper should be similar to the student’s qualifying degree.
- GATE examination question paper will consist of both Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) and Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions.
- Examination will be of 3-hour duration with 65 questions and a maximum of 100 marks.
- Candidates will be provided with blank paper sheets for rough work and these have to be returned back after the examination.
- Syllabus for GATE 2016 – Click Here
- Pattern of Question Papers – Engineering Mathematics section will carry 15% of the total marks, General Aptitude section will carry 15% of the total marks and the remaining 70% of the total marks is devoted to the core subjects of the stream.
- Distribution of Marks and Questions –
Marks No. of questions Total Marks 2 35 70 1 30 30 Total 65 Questions 100 Marks
- Marking Scheme – For MCQs, there will be a deduction of 1/3 and 2/3 for 1-mark and 2-mark question respectively for every wrong answer. There is NO negative marking for NATs.
Eligibility for GATE 2016
|Qualifying Degree||Qualifying Degree/ Examination (Descriptive)||Description of Eligible candidates||Yr of Qualification cannot be later than|
|B.E./B.Tech./B.Pharm.||Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/ Technology (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after Diploma in Engineering/Technology) and those who are in the final year of such programs.||Currently in the final year or already completed||2016|
|B. Arch.||Bachelor’s degree holders of Architecture (Five years course)||Currently in the final year or already completed||2016|
|B.Sc. (Research)/ B.S.||Bachelor’s degree in Science(Post-Diploma/4 years after 10+2)||Currently in the 4th year or already completed||2016|
|M.Sc. /M.A./MCA or equivalent||Master’s degree in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statistics/ Computer Applications or equivalent||Currently in the final year or already completed||2016|
|Int. M.E/M.Tech (Post-B.Sc.)||Post-BSc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering / Technology (Four year program)||Currently in the 2nd/3rd/4th year or already completed||2018|
|Int. M.E./ M.Tech or Dual Degree (afterDiploma or 10+2)||Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering / Technology (Five year program)||Currently in the 4th/5th year or already completed||2017|
|Int. M.Sc/Int. B.S.-M.S.||Integrated M.Sc. or Five year integrated B.S.-M.S. program||Currently in the final year or already completed||2016|
|Professional Society Examinations (equivalent to B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch.)||B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch. equivalent examinations, of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/UPSC/AICTE (e.g., AMIE by Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers-India)||Completed section A or equivalent of such professional courses||NA|
How to Apply for GATE 2016
All candidates have to apply ONLINE through GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS).
Details of the non-refundable application fee are shown in table below –
|Women candidates / SC / ST / PwD category candidates||INR 750/-|
|All other candidates||INR 1500/-|
Source – GATE2016 Notification http://www.gate.iisc.ernet.in/
For GATE 2016, payments would have to be made through online by using net banking or debit card or e-challan facilities. Additional charges will be applicable as per the rule of the bank from where the money is being transferred. This charge will be specified on the payment portal.
Important Dates 2016
|GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) Website Opens for Enrolment, Application Filling, Application Submission||September 1st, 2015 (Tuesday)|
|Last Date for Submission of Online Application through Website||October 1st, 2015 (Thursday)|
|Last Date for Request for Change in the Choice of Examination City via GOAPS login||November 20th, 2015 (Friday)|
|Availability of Admit Card on the Online Application Interface for printing||December 17th, 2015 (Thursday)|
|GATE 2016 Online Examination
Forenoon: 9.00 AM to 12.00 Noon
Afternoon: 2.00 PM to 5.00 PM
(On Saturday and Sundays only)
|January 30th to February 7th, 2016
(30th January, 1st, 6th and 7th February 2016)
|Announcement of Results on the Online Application Website||March 19th, 2016 (Saturday)
Source – GATE2016 Notification http://www.gate.iisc.ernet.in/