CSVTU BE VI Semester Electrical Engineering Fibre Optics Syllabus
Chhattisgarh Swami Vivekanand Technical University, Bhilai
Semester: 6th Branch: Electrical Engg.
Subject: Fibre Optics
Total Theory Periods: 40 Total Tut Periods: 12
Total Marks in End Semester Exam: 80
Minimum number of Class tests to be conducted: 2
Introduction to optical communication, principle of light transmission, optical fiber modes and
configuration, mode theory for circular wave guides, single mode fibers, multimode fibers, numerical
aperture, mode field diameter, fiber material, fiber fabrication techniques.
Optical sources, LEDs, LASER diodes, Modal reflection noise, Power launching and coupling,
Population inversion, Fiber splicing, Optical connectors, Photo detectors, PIN, Avalanche detectors,
Response time, Avalanche multiplication noise.
Signal degradation in optical fibers, attenuation losses, Signal distortion in optical wave guides,
material dispersion, Wave guide dispersion, Chromatic dispersion, Intermodal distortion, Pulse broadning
in graded index fiber, mode coupling, Advanced fiber designs: Dispersion shifted, Dispersion flattened,
Compensating fibers, Design optimization in single mode fibers.
UNIT – IV:
Coherent optical fiber communication, Modulation techniques for homodyne and heterodyne
systems, Optical fiber link design, Rise time budget and link power budget, Long haul systems, Bit eror
rate, Line coding, NRZ,RZ, Block codes, Eye pattern.
UNIT – V:
Advanced system techniques, Wavelength division multiplexing, Optical amplification,
Semiconductor amplifier, EDFA comparision between semiconductor and optical amplifier, Gain
bandwidth, Photonic switching, Optical networks, Optical fiber bus, Ring topology, Star architecture, FDDI
and SONET standards.
TEXT BOOKS: –
1. “Optical Fibre Communication”, Gerd Keiser, Mc Graw Hill International Ed.
2. “Optical Fiber Communication” A.K. Ghatak & K. Tyagarajan.
3. “ Optical Fibre Communication: Principals and Techniques”, John M. Senior, PHI New Delhi
1. “ Fibre Optics: Principles and Applications”, N.S. Kapany, Academic Press, New York.
2. “ Fibre Optics System Network Applications”, Terry Edwards, John Wiley & Sons.
3. “Fibre Optics Test & Measurements”, Dennis Drickson, Prentice Hall PTR, NJ USA.
4. “Fibre Optic Communication Technology”, D. Jafar, K. Mynbaev & Lowell L. Schenier, Pearson
5. “Optical Fibre Communication and it’s Applications, S.C. Gupta, PHI India.