CHHATTISGARH SWAMI VIVEKANAND TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY, BHILAI (C G)
Semester: B.E. VI Sem. Branch: Mechanical Engg.
Subject: Power Plant Engineering
Total Theory Periods: 50 Total Tutorial Periods: 12
Total Marks in End Semester Exam: 80
Minimum number of class tests to be conducted: 2
Elements of Power Plant
General Sources of power, Importance of Central Power Stations, types of power stations – steam, nuclear, diesel
and hydro – Elements of modern power stations (Steams only) brief layout and arrangement of elements and
complements, sitting of different power stations, foundation. Elements of Electric power systems primary and
secondary distribution substations (in brief)
UNIT – II
Steam Power Plant
Steam power plants selection of working medium, Heat Balance in stem cycles, Heat rates, comparison of
efficiencies gas loop, fuels and fuel handling. Equipments, fuel gas cleaning and ash handling. Air pre-heater, feed
water pre-heaters, steam re-heaters, dearators, feed water treatment, pumping and regulation water walls, modern
developments in steam boilers, Important instrumentation and piping of gas and water loop. Factors to be
controlled from maximum efficiency and variable output.
UNIT – III
Hydro Electric power station
– Potential power with reference to rainfall and catchments area, Water storage,
equipment used in hydro electric power stations. Characteristics of hydraulic turbines. Comparison of the factors
governing the cost of hydro steam and diesel power stations.
Diesel power station
– Suitability of diesel engines for bulk power, advantages and limitations of diesel, power
stations, efficiency and heat balance.
UNIT – IV
Nuclear Power Station
Evolution of nuclear energy from atoms by fission and fusion. Chain reactions, fission materials, types of reactors,
gas cooled, boiling water liquid, metal cooled and fast reactor, arrangements of various elements in a nuclear power
station, stem cycles and boilers coolant heat exchangers, Reactor control, Reactor shielding and safety methods.
UNIT – V
Variable load problems
– Idealized and realized load curves, effect of variable load on plant design and operation
variable load operation and load dispatch.
Power station Economics
– Source of income, cost of plant and production, elements of cost, depreciation and
replacement theory of rates.
1. A Text Book of Power Plant Engineering – R.K. Rajput – Laxmi Publications
2. A Course in Power Plant Engineering – Arora, Domkundwar – Dhanpat Rai & Co., 2005
1. Power Plant Engineering, 2nd Edn. – P.K. Nag – Tata McGraw-Hill Pub. Com., New Delhi, 2004
2. Power Plant Engineering – P.C. Sharma – S.K. Kataria & Sons, 2003
3. Power Plant Engineering – G.R. Nagpal – Khanna Publishers