CSVTU B.E. III Semester Mechanical Engineering MECHANICS OF SOLIDS – I Syllabus
CHHATTISGARH SWAMI VIVEKANAND TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY, BHILAI (CG)
Semester: B.E. III Sem.
Sub : MECHANICS OF SOLIDS – I
UNIT – I
Basic of Stress & Strain, elastic constants, stress – strain diagram, Hooke’s law, stresses in the
components subjected to multi-axial forces, temperature stresses, statically indeterminate systems.
UNIT – II
Bending of Beams
Bending of Beams with symmetric section, boundary conditions, pure bending, bending equations,
Transverse shear stress distribution in circular / hollow circular / I & T section.
UNIT – III
Deflection of Beams
Relation between slope deflection & radius of curvature, solution of beam deflection, problems by
Macaulay’s Method, Direct integration method, Moment Area method, Method of Super position.
UNIT – IV
Deformation in circular shaft due to torsion, basic assumptions, torsion equations, stresses in elastic
range, angular deflection, hollow & stepped circular shaft.
Closed & Open Coil Helical Springs subjected to Axial Load, Springs in parallel & series.
UNIT – V
Principal Stress & Strain
Transformation of plane stress, principal stresses, maximum shear stress, Mohr’s Circle for Plane Stress,
Plane Strain and its Mohr’s circle representation, Principal Strains, Maximum Shear Strain.
Components subjected to bending, torsion & axial load.
1. Strength of Material – Dr. Sadhu Singh – Khanna Publishers
2. Elements of Strength of Material – Timo Shenko & Young – EWP Press
3. Strength of Material – R.K. Rajput – Dhanpat Rai & Sons
1. Strength of Material – Rider – ELBS
2. Mechanics of Material – F.P. Bear & E.E. Johnston – McGraw Hill
3. Mechanics of Material – J.M. Gera & Time Shenko – CBS Publishers
4. Introduction to Solid Mechanics – I. H. Shames – PHI
5. Engineering Mechanics of Solids – E.P. Popov – PHI
6. Strength of Material – Shaums Outline Series – McGraw Hill