RTU Previous Exam Papers BE ME 3rd Semester
Material Science and Engineering January 2013
UNIT – I
1 (a). What is meant by Crystal imperfections ? State the effect of their presence in materials.
(b) What do you understand by the term ‘Crystal lattice’ and how many types of this are found in metals ?
(a) How are crystal planes identified by means of miller indices ?
(b) Draw the following planes and directions in an FCC structure :
UNIT – II
2. What is slip ? On what crystal lographic planes and in what directions it is likely to occur in BCC, FCC and HCP metals ?
2 (a) Explain the yield point phenomenon in materials in terms of dislocations.
(b) Explain deformation of metals. How does it take place ? State its effect.
UNIT – III
3. (a)Draw the phase diagram for a binary system showing complete solubility in liquid and solid state.
(a) Describe the process of austenite decomposition of alloyed steels with TTT diagrams.
UNIT – IV
4. Explain briefly the following heat treatment operations :
4. (a) Explain the important processes of heat treatment of steel with illustrative examples.
(b) Discuss the effect of heat treatment on the mechanical properties of steel.
UNIT – V
5. Why is alloying done ? What are the effect of Si, Mn, Mo, Co and Ti as alloying element on properties of steel.
5. Write short notes on :
(a) BIS standards
(b) Fiber reinforced plastic composites
(c) Classification of steels