IIT Kharagpur crop production technology syllabus
Agricultural Biotechnology Laboratory
1 – 0 – 3 : 3 CreditsTheory component
Introduction: Cell structure and physiological processes, organellar ultrastructure,
respiration, photosynthesis, growth regulators and nitrogen metabolism.
Genetic Engineering for Crop Improvement: Plant cell and tissue
culture, gene transfer techniques into plant cells, application in agriculture.
Microbes in Agriculture and Food: Applied Microbiology in the future of
mankind, moving frontiers of applied microbiology, microbial enzymes and
their applications in food processing and agro-chemical industries, agrowaste utilization, biodegradable polymers and their applications, microbial
polysaccharides; Production and utilization of essential amino-acids,
chemicals from micro-algae.
Micorrhiza: Applications in agriculture and forestry.
Food and Beverage Products: Traditional fermented food, single cell
protein, production of glutamic acid, lactic acid, gluconic and Itaconic acid.
1. Tissue culture technique: media preparation
2. Explant sterilization, inoculation and inductin of callus
3. Micropropagation and acclimatization of regenerated plants
4. Establishment of suspension cultures and plating suspension
5. Isolation of microbes from soil, water and environment and their
6. Pure culture preparation
7. Gram staining
8. Bacterial counting and growth kinetics
9. Extraction of microbial products and their quantification
10. Immobilization of enzymes/whole cell