GATE Life Sciences Syllabus: GATE 2021 Life Sciences (XL) syllabus will consist of 3 sections. The first section will be General Aptitude and the second section will be Chemistry. Chemistry is tagged as section P and will be compulsory for candidates. The third part comprises sections Q to U and candidates have to choose any two sections to appear for the exam.
You must aware of the latest syllabus and marking scheme to prepare for the Life Sciences exam. To prepare for the GATE Life Sciences exam, you should know the latest ECE Syllabus and marking scheme.
Here we are providing you the complete guide on GATE Life Sciences Syllabus 2021 and Marking Scheme.
GATE Life Sciences Syllabus 2021
In the latest GATE Syllabus for Life Sciences, you will find the important chapters and concepts to be covered in all subjects. The weightage of General Aptitude will be 15% and the remaining 85% will be reserved for chemistry & sections (two) selected by the candidates. The question paper will consist of 65 questions which will be divided into three sections worth 100 marks and the duration of the exam is three hours
You can start your exam preparation by creating a solid study plan and score a better mark in the exam with the latest Life Sciences Syllabus. Based on the score in GATE Life Sciences, you can shape your career in the proper way.
You must have Life Sciences books & study materials, Previous years questions paper along with the latest Life Sciences Syllabus to enhance your semester exam preparation.
GATE 2021 Life sciences XL section comprises the following subjects/codes:
- XL-P – Chemistry
- XL-Q – Biochemistry
- XL-R – Botany
- XL-S – Microbiology
- XL-T – Zoology
- XL-U – Food Technology
Check the complete GATE Life Sciences syllabus below.
GATE 2021 XL-P Chemistry Syllabus (compulsory)
- Atomic Structure and Periodicity
- Structure and Bonding
- s, p & d Block Elements
- Chemical Equilibria
- Reaction Kinetics
- Structure Reactivity Correlations and Organic Reaction Mechanisms
GATE 2021 XL-Q Biochemistry Syllabus
- Section 1 – Organization of life; Importance of water; Structure and function of biomolecules: Amino acids, Carbohydrates, Lipids, Proteins and Nucleic acids; Protein structure, folding and function: Myoglobin, Hemoglobin, Lysozyme, Ribonuclease A, Carboxypeptidase and Chymotrypsin.
- Section 2 – Enzyme kinetics including its regulation and inhibition, Vitamins and Coenzymes; Metabolism and bioenergetics; Generation and utilization of ATP; Metabolic pathways and their regulation: glycolysis, TCA cycle, pentose phosphate pathway, oxidative phosphorylation, gluconeogenesis, glycogen and fatty acid metabolism; Metabolism of Nitrogen containing compounds: nitrogen fixation, amino acids and nucleotides. Photosynthesis: Calvin cycle.
- Section 3 – Biochemical separation techniques: ion exchange, size exclusion and affinity chromatography, Characterization of biomolecules by electrophoresis, UV-visible and fluorescence spectroscopy and Mass spectrometry.
- Section 4 – Cell structure and organelles; Biological membranes; Transport across membranes; Signal transduction; Hormones and neurotransmitters.
- Section 5 – DNA replication, transcription and translation; Biochemical regulation of gene expression; Recombinant DNA technology and applications: PCR, site directed mutagenesis and DNA-microarray.
- Section 6 – Immune system: Active and passive immunity; Complement system; Antibody structure, function and diversity; Cells of the immune system: T, B and macrophages; T and B cell activation; Major histocompatibilty complex; T cell receptor; Immunological techniques: Immunodiffusion, immune electrophoresis, RIA and ELISA.
GATE 2021 XL-R Botany Syllabus
- Plant Systematics
- Plant Anatomy
- Morphogenesis & Development
- Physiology and Biochemistry
- Plant Breeding and Genetic Modification
- Economic Botany
- Plant Pathology
- Ecology and Environment
GATE 2021 XL-S Microbiology Syllabus
- Historical Perspective
- Methods in Microbiology
- Microbial Taxonomy and Diversity
- Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cells
- Microbial Growth
- Control of Micro-organisms
- Microbial Metabolism
- Microbial Diseases and Host-Pathogen Interaction
- Microbial Genetics
- Microbial Ecology
GATE 2021 XL-T Zoology Syllabus
- Animal World
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Cell Biology
- Gene Expression in Eukaryotes
- Animal Anatomy and Physiology
- Parasitology and Immunology
- Development Biology
- Animal Behaviour
GATE 2021 XL-U Food Technology Syllabus
- Food Chemistry and Nutrition
- Food Microbiology
- Food Products Technology
- Food Engineering
GATE 2021 Life Sciences Exam Pattern
- Exam Mode: Online
- Duration: 3 hours
- Types of questions: MCQs and NAT
- Sections: 3 sections – General Aptitude, Mathematics and Subject-based
- Total questions: 65 questions
|Section||Distribution of Marks||Total Marks||Types of questions|
|GA||5 questions of 1-mark each
5 questions of 2-marks each
|Section P – Chemistry (compulsory)||5 questions of 1-mark each
10 questions of 2-marks each
MCQs and NATs
|Sections Q to U (Any two)||10 questions of 1-mark each
10 questions of 2-marks each
MCQs and NATs
- Total marks: 100 marks
- Negative Marking: For MCQs only
|Type of question||Negative marking for wrong answers.|
1/3for 1 mark questions
2/3 for 2 marks questions
|NAT||No negative marking|
Now you have a detailed guide on GATE Life Sciences Syllabus 2021. If you have any questions related to GATE Life Sciences Syllabus, please let us know in the comment section.