Structure Of GATE 2016
- The candidate can apply to only one of the 23 streams.
- The candidate can choose any paper according to the admission plan, keeping in mind the eligibility criteria of interested institutions. The paper should be similar to the student’s qualifying degree.
- Must Check GATE Android app
- GATE examination question paper will consist of both Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) and Numerical Answer Type (NAT) questions.
- Examination will be of 3-hour duration with 65 questions and a maximum of 100 marks.
- Candidates will be provided with blank paper sheets for rough work and these have to be returned back after the examination.
- Pattern of Question Papers – Engineering Mathematics section will carry 15% of the total marks, General Aptitude section will carry 15% of the total marks and the remaining 70% of the total marks is devoted to the core subjects of the stream.
- Distribution of Marks and Questions –
Marks No. of questions Total Marks 2 35 70 1 30 30 Total 65 Questions 100 Marks
- Marking Scheme – For MCQs, there will be a deduction of 1/3 and 2/3 for 1-mark and 2-mark question respectively for every wrong answer. There is NO negative marking for NATs.
Eligibility for GATE 2016
|Qualifying Degree||Qualifying Degree/ Examination (Descriptive)||Description of Eligible candidates||Yr of Qualification cannot be later than|
|B.E./B.Tech./B.Pharm.||Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/ Technology (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after Diploma in Engineering/Technology) and those who are in the final year of such programs.||Currently in the final year or already completed||2016|
|B. Arch.||Bachelor’s degree holders of Architecture (Five years course)||Currently in the final year or already completed||2016|
|B.Sc. (Research)/ B.S.||Bachelor’s degree in Science(Post-Diploma/4 years after 10+2)||Currently in the 4th year or already completed||2016|
|M.Sc. /M.A./MCA or equivalent||Master’s degree in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statistics/ Computer Applications or equivalent||Currently in the final year or already completed||2016|
|Int. M.E/M.Tech (Post-B.Sc.)||Post-BSc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering / Technology (Four year program)||Currently in the 2nd/3rd/4th year or already completed||2018|
|Int. M.E./ M.Tech or Dual Degree (afterDiploma or 10+2)||Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering / Technology (Five year program)||Currently in the 4th/5th year or already completed||2017|
|Int. M.Sc/Int. B.S.-M.S.||Integrated M.Sc. or Five year integrated B.S.-M.S. program||Currently in the final year or already completed||2016|
|Professional Society Examinations (equivalent to B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch.)||B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch. equivalent examinations, of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/UPSC/AICTE (e.g., AMIE by Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers-India)||Completed section A or equivalent of such professional courses||NA|