BE (1st Semester)
Examination Nov-Dec- 2006
Environmental & Ecology
1. (a) Name the different segments of environment and describe briefly their characteristics.
(b) Name the different factors, which are responsible for degradation of environment.
(c) Explain ” Ecology” and “Ecosystem”. Give a brief account of different components an ecosystem.
(d) What is ” Food Chain” ? With suitable examples, describe the different components of an ecosystem.
2. (a) Name the different major regions of the atmosphere; give their characteristics and explain the negative lapse rate occurring in some of the regions of the atmosphere,
(b) What are the^sources of carbon monoxide and sulphur dioxide in the atmosphere? Mention their effects on man and his environment. How are they controlled?
(c) Give the causes of Acid Rain. What are its bad effects on environment? Give the steps for controlling acid rain.
(d) Discuss the mechanisms involved in the formation and depletion of ozone in the atmosphere. What are the dangers of depletion of ozone in the stratosphere?
3. (a) How are B.O.D. and C.O.D. determined in waste water? Give their significance.
(b) How are water pollutants classified ? Discuss in short the sources and effects of these pollutants.
(c) Write informative note on ” Eutrophication”.
(d) Describe “Anaerobic digestion process” of waste water treatment. Give the advantages and limitations of this process.
4. (a) How are solid wastes classified? What are the objectives and considerations of solid waste management?
(b) Write a short note on “Composting”.
(C) What are the physiological and psychological effects of noise?
(d) Write short notes on :
(i) The decibel scale
(ii) Use of sound absorption in noise control.
5. (a) Define “Biotechnology”. Give the current status of biotechnology in environmental protection.
(b) Write short notes on:
(iii) Discuss the role of Biotechnology in food and allied industries.