CBSE Class 11 Geography Syllabus 2020: With the latest CBSE Class 11 Geography Syllabus, you will get to know the chapters and concepts to be covered in all topics. It will also let you know the weightage in various topics for the board exam.
To prepare correctly for CBSE Class 11 Geography board exam, you must have the latest syllabus along with books and other study materials. You should have a depth concept in every topic of Class 11 Geography to score better marks CBSE Class 11 Board exam.
In this article, you can check Detailed CBSE Class 11 Geography Syllabus for better preparation.
CBSE Class 11 Geography Syllabus 2020
Geography is the study of the interaction between people and their environments, both natural and human. It is an extremely broad subject that tries to map and describe both, the physical features of the Earth, like mountains, and its human features, such as the borders of countries or distributions of religions.
You should have depth concepts on the subject to score better marks. You already know that CBSE updates the Class 11 syllabus every year to provide the most updated curriculum to students.
You can check and download the latest CBSE Geography Syllabus 2020 and Exam Pattern from below. You can also download NCERT Geography Textbook PDFs based on the latest syllabus.
CBSE Class 11 Geography Exam Pattern
Here you can check the chapter-wise weightage for CBSE Class 11 Geography question Paper.
|Part/Unit||Topic or Chapter||Marks|
|Part A||Fundamentals of Physical Geography||35|
|Unit-1||Geography as a discipline|
|Unit-5||Water (Oceans) – OTBA|
|Unit-6||Life on the Earth|
|Map and Diagram||5|
|Part B||India – Physical Environment||35|
|Unit-9||Climate, vegetation and soil|
|Unit-10||Natural hazards and Disasters|
|Map and Diagram||5|
|Part C||Practical Work||30|
|Unit-1||Fundamentals of Maps||10|
|Unit-2||Topographic and Weather Maps||15|
|Practical Record Book and Viva||5|
Secure Higher Grades and Chase Your Dream
New CBSE 11th Geography
Part A: Fundamentals of Physical Geography
Unit-1: Geography as a Discipline
- Geography as an integrating discipline, as a science of spatial attributes.
- Branches of Geography; PhysicalGeography and Human Geography.
- Scope and Career Options
Unit-2: The Earth
- Origin and evolution of the earth; Interior of the earth.
- Wegener’s continental drift theory and plate tectonics.
- Earthquakes and volcanoes: causes, types and effects.
- Rocks: major types of rocks and their characteristics.
- Landforms and their evolution.
- Geomorphic processes: weathering, mass wasting, erosion and deposition; soil-formation.
Unit 4: Climate
- Atmosphere- composition and structure;elements of weather and climate.
- Insolation-angle of incidence and distribution; heat budget of the earth-heating and cooling of atmosphere (conduction, convection, terrestrial radiation and advection); temperature- factors controlling temperature; distribution of temperature-horizontal and vertical; inversion of temperature.
- Pressure-pressure belts; winds-planetary, seasonal and local; air masses and fronts; tropical and extratropical cyclones.
- Precipitation-evaporation; condensation-dew, frost,fog, mist and cloud; rainfall-types and world distribution.
- World climates-classification (Koeppen and Thornthwaite), Global warming and climatic changes.
- Climate and Global Concerns.
Unit 5: Hydrosphere
- Basics of Oceanography
- Oceans – distribution of temperature and salinity.
- Movements of ocean water-waves, tides and currents; submarine reliefs.
- Ocean resources and pollution.
Unit 6: Biosphere
- Biosphere – importance of plants and other organisms; biodiversity and conservation; ecosystem and ecological balance.
Map work on identification of features based on 1 to 6 units on the outline/Physical/Political map of the world.
Part – B: India – Physical Environment
- Location, space relations, India’s place in the world.
- Structure and Relief; Physiographic Divisions.
- Drainage systems: Concept of river basins, Watershed; the Himalayan and the Peninsular rivers.
Unit-9: Climate, Vegetation and Soil
- Weather and climate – spatial and temporal distribution of temperature, pressure winds and rainfall, Indian monsoon: mechanism, onset and withdrawal, variability of rainfalls: spatial and temporal; use of weather charts; Climatic types (Koeppen).
- Natural vegetation-forest types and distribution; wild life; conservation; biosphere reserves.
- Soils – major types (ICAR’s classification) and their distribution, soil degradation and conservation.
Unit-10: Hazards and Disasters: Causes, Consequences and Management
- Floods, Cloudbursts
- Droughts: types and impact
- Earthquakes and Tsunami
- Cyclones: features and impact
Map Work of features based on above units for locating and labelling on the Outline/Political/Physical map of India.
Part – C: Practical Work
Unit-1: Fundamentals of Maps
- Geo spatial data, Concept of Geographicaldata matrix; Point, line, area data.
- Maps – types; scales-types; construction of simple linear scale, measuring distance; finding direction and use of symbols.
- Map projection – Latitude, longitude and time, typology, construction and properties of projection: Conical with one standard parallel and Mercator’s projection. (only two projections)
Unit 2: Topographic and Weather Maps
- Study of topographic maps (1:50,000 or 1:25,000 Survey of India maps); contour cross section and identification of landforms-slopes, hills, valleys, waterfall, cliffs; distribution of settlements.
- Aerial Photographs: Types and Geometry-vertical aerial photographs; difference between maps and aerial photographs; photo scale determination. Identification of physical and cultural features.
- Satellite imageries, stages in remote sensing data-acquisition, platform and sensors and data products, (photographic and digital).
- Use of weather instruments: thermometer, wet and dry-bulb thermometer, barometer, wind vane, rain gauge.
Download the latest 11th Geography Syllabus below.
- Download CBSE 11th Geography Syllabus After 30% Reduction PDF
- Download Deleted 11th Geography Syllabus PDF
CBSE NCERT Textbook For Class 11 Geography 2020 PDF
Geography is an important subject for Class 11 Arts Stream. The book has multiple benefits from class 11 exam preparation to various entrance exam preparation.
Here you can download NCERT Textbook for Class 11 Geography for Hindi and English Medium.
We have covered the detailed guide on CBSE Class 11 Geography Syllabus. Feel free to ask any questions related to CBSE Class 11 Geography in the comment section below.