WBUT Question Papers Computer Organization
B Tech Sem 3rd Dec 2008
Time : 3 Hours ]
Full Marks : 70
GROUP-A (Multiple Choice Type Questions)
- Choose the correct alternatives for the following : . 10×1 = 10
J) When signed numbers Eire used In binary arithmetic then which one of the following notations would have unique representation for zero ?
a) Sign magnitude b) l’s Complement
c) 2’s Complement d) None of these.
ii) The logic circuitry in ALU is
a) entirely combinational
b) entirety sequential
c) combinational cum sequential
d) none of these.
iii) In a micro-processor, the address of the next instruction to be executed, is . stored in
a) Stack pointer
b) Address latch •
c) Program counter
d) General purpose register.
iv) The technique of placing software in a ROM semiconductor chip is called ‘
a) PROM b) EPROM
c) FIRMWARE d) Micro-Processor.
v) Cache Memory
b) increases performance
c) reduces performance
vi) Associative memory is a
a) very cheap memory c) content addressable memory d) slow memory.
vii) A single bus structure is primarily found in
main frames b) super computers
c) high performance machines d) mini and micro-computers.
viii) Memory mapped I/O scheme is used for the allocation of address to memories and I/O devices is used for
a) small system b) large system
c) both large and small systems d) very large system.____
ix) The convertion of ( FAFAFA ) 16 into octal form is
76767676 b) 76575372
c) 76737672 d) 76727672. [
x) Which of the following addressing modes is used in the instruction PUSH B ?
a) ‘ Immediate b) Register
c) Direct d) Register Indirect.
GROUP – B ( Short Answer Type Questions )
Answer any three of the following. 3×5=15
f . .
- Show the circuit diagram for implementing the following register transfer operation. If ( ab ~ = 1 ) then R1 «- R2 else R1 <- R3, where a and b are control variables.
- What do you mean by instruction cycle, machine cycles and T states ?
- What is virtual memory ? Why is it called virtual ? Write the advantage of virtual memory. 2+1+2
- What are the advantages of microprogramming control over hardwared control ? What is the role of operating system ? » 3 + 2
- What are the different types of interrupt ? Give examples. What is programmed I/O technique? . ‘ 3 + 2
GROUP-C ( Long Answer Type Questions )
Answer any three of the following questions. 3×15 = 45
- a) What are Von Neumann concept and its bottleneck ?
b) Represent the decimal value – 7-5 in IEEE – 754 single precision floating-point format. ‘
c) Compare parallel adder with serial adder.
d) What is the necessity of guard bits ?
e) Explain and draw the 4-bit binary decrementer circuit. 4 + 3 + 4+1 + 3
- a) Draw the internal cell diagram of PROM and explain its functionality.
b) What is cache memory ? How does it increase th^ performance of a computer ? What is hit ratio ?
c) A three level memory system having cache access time of 5 nsec and disk access time of 40 nsec, has a cache hit ratio of 0-96 and main memory hit ratio
of 0-9. What should be, the main memory access time to achieve an overall
access time of 16 nsecv ? dj Define : (i) rotational latency, (ii) seek time. 4 + 4 + 5 + 2
- a) What is instruction cycle ? Draw the time diagram for memory write operation.
b) Explain the basic DMA operations for transfer of data between memory and Peripherals.
c)a) Given the following, determine the size of the sub-fields in the address for direct
mapping, associative mapping and set-associative mapping cache schemes :
Main memory size 512 MB
Cache memory size 1 MB
, Address space of processor 512 MB ‘
Block size . 128 B
8 blocks in cache set.
b) Differentiate between memory mapped I/O and I/O mapped I/O.
- Write short notes on any three of the following :
a) Magnetic recording
b) Cache replacement policies
c) Non-restoring division method *
d) Addressing modes .
e) Booth’s algorithm.