WBUT Question Papers CS Advanced Computer Architecture B Tech Forth Sem June – 2008
WBUT Question Papers CS
Advanced Computer Architecture B Tech Forth Sem June – 2008
GROUP-A (Multiple Choice Type Questions)
- Choose the correct alternatives for the following : 10 x 1 = 10
4 The seek time of a disk is 30 ms. It rotates at the rate of 30 rotations/second. The capacity of each track is 300 words. The access time is approximate^
a) 62 ms b) 60 ms
c) 47 ms d) none of these.
Ji) The performance of a pipelined processor suffers if.
a) the pipeline stages have different delays
b) consecutive instructions are dependent on each other
c) the pipeline stages share hardware resources .
d) all of these.
Consider the high speed 40 ns memory cache with a successful hit ratio of 80%. The regular memory has an access time of 100 ns. What is the effective access time for CPU to access memory ?
What is a main advantage of classical vector systems (VS ) compared with RISC based systems ( RS) ?
VS have significantly higher memory bandwidth than RS
VS have higher clock rate than RS
VS are more parallel than RS None of these.
v) Associative memoiy iaa ^
a) pointer addressable memoiy
b) very cheap memoiy .
c) content addressable memoiy – d) slow memoxy.
vi) The principle of locality justifies the use of
£0 Interrupts b) Polling
c) DMA d) Cache memoiy.
vii) How many address bits are required for a 512 x 4 memoiy ?
a) 512 b) 4 * ‘
c) 9 d) A0 – A6. |
viii) A single bus structure is primarily found In
a) Main frames
b) High performance machines
c) Mini and Micro- computers
d) Supercomputers. ■
ixj What will be the speed up for a four-stage linear pipeline, when the number of instruction rt = 64 ?
a) 4.5 b) 7.1
c) 6.5 d) None of these.
x} Dynamic pipdine allows
a) multiples function to evaluate
b) only streamline connection
c) to perform fixed function
d) none of these. : IV-2448SS (S-A)
GROUP-B ( Short Answer Type Questions)
- Answer any three of the following. 3 x 5 = IE
- What are the different parameters used in measuring CPU performance ? Briefly discuss each. 5
- What do you mean by m-way memory interleaving ? In the system with pipeline processing, is the memoiy interleaving useful ? If yes, explain why. 2 + 3
- Develop 32 x 42 delta network. 5
- Compare superscalar, super-pipeline and VLIW techniques. 5
- Discuss about strip mining and vector stride in vector processors. 3 + 2
GROUP -C (Long Answer Type Questions)
Answer any three of the following. 3 x 15 = 45
- a) What is Multistage Switching Network ?
- b) Describe the distribution and shared memoiy model of SIMD architecture.
- c) Draw the block diagram and explain the functionality of processing element.
2 + 8 + 5
- a) What is meant by pipeline stall ?
b) Draw the block diagram of C-access memoiy function. Why is it necessaiy and how does it improve the memoiy access time ?
c) Implement the data routing logic of SIMD architecture to compute
s ( k) = X Ai for fc = 0, 1, 2…N-1.
i = o
d) A computer has cache access time of 100 nanosecs, a main memoiy access time of 1000 nanosecs and a hit ratio of 0.9.
0 Find the average access time of the memoiy system
ii) Suppose that in the computer, there is no cache memoiy, then find the
- average access time, when the main memory access time is 1000 nanosecs. Compare the two access times. 2 + 4 + 4 + E
- zO What is Memory Management Unit (MMU) ?
b) What are the advantages of using cache memory organization ? Define hit ratio. Compare and contrast associative mapping and direct mappin
Draw a 16-input Omega network using 2 x 2 Switches as building blocks :
i) Show the switching setting for routing a message from node 1011 to node 0101 and from node 0111 to node 1001 simultaneously. Does blocking ‘ exist in this case ?
11) Determine how many permutations can be implemented in one-pass through this Omega network. What is the percentage of one-pass permutations among all permutations 7
. HI) What is the maximum number of passes needed to implement any permutation through the network ? 2 + 7 + 6
- a) What do you mean by “Data flow Computer” ?
b) With simple diagram, explain Data flow architecture and compare it with control flow architecture.
c) Draw data flow graphs to represent the following computations :
|0||X||= A + B|
d) What is vector processor ? Give the block diagram to indicate he architecture of a typical Vector Processor with multiple function pipes. 2 + 6 + 3 + 4
- Write short notes on any three of the following : 3×5
a) Omega Network ‘
b) Cross bar Switches
c) Reservation table
d) Multiport Network
e) CM-2 machine.