WBUT Basic Electrical and Electronics Question Paper
Basic Electrical Engineering
West Bengal University of Technology
CS/B.TECH (NEW)/SEM-1/ES-101/2010-11 2010-11
BASIC ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING-I
Time Allotted : 3 Hours Full Marks : 70
THIS QUESTION BOOKLET CONSISTS OF 2 PARTS — PART I & PART II.
TO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS USE SEPARATE ANSWER BOOKS FOR SEPARATE PARTS.
DO NOT ANSWER BOTH THE PARTS IN THE SAME ANSWER-BOOK.
The figures in the margin indicate full marks.
Candidates are required to give their answers in their own words
as far as practicable.
PART – I ( Marks : 35 )
GROUP – A ( Multiple Choice Type Questions )
- Choose the correct alternatives for any five of the following :
i) The form factor of a wave is 1. Its shape is a) sinusoidal b) triangular
c) square d) sawtooth.
ii) The admittance of a parallel circuit is 0-5 Z – 30°. The circuit is
a) inductive b) capacitive
c) resistive d) in resonance.
iii) The force experienced by a small conductor of length L, carrying a current I, placed in a magnetic field B* at an angle 0 with respect to B* is given by
a) BIL b) BIL sin 0
c) BIL cos 0 d) zero.
iv) The mutual inductance between two coupled coils is 10 mH. If turns of one coil are doubled and that in other are halved, the mutual inductance will be
a) 5 mH b) 10 mH
c) 14 mH d) 20 mH.
v) Three resistors of 4Q, 6 Q and 8 £2 are connected in
parallel. The maximum power dissipation will occur in
a) 4 Q b) ? 6 Q
c) 8(2 d) equal in all resistors.
5 V, lOfl b) 10 V, 10 ft
c) 5V.5Q d) 15 V, 15-ft.
GROUP -B ( Short Answer Type Questions )
Answer any two of the following. 2×5= 10
- State and prove maximum power transfer theorem.
- Compare electric and magnetic circuits with respect to their similarities and dissimilarities.
- What is resonance ? Deduce the expression of frequency in a series RLC circuit at resonance.
- At t = 0, the instantaneous value of a 50 Hz, sinusoidal current is 5 Amp and increases in magnitude further. Its R.M.S. value is 10 Amp.
a) Write the expression for its instantaneous value
b) Find the current at t= 0-01 and t = 0-015 sec
Sketch the waveform indicating these values.
WBUT Basic Electrical and Electronics Question Paper for SEM I