VTU Question Papers Engineering Chemistry
1st & 2nd Sem B.E. Degree Examination, June/July 08
Note : Answer any FIVEfull questions, choosing at least two questions from each part
Fart – A
1 a. Describe the experimental determination of calorific value of a solid fuel using Bomb
calorimeter. (06 Marks)
- What is synthetic petrol? Describe the Bergius method of synthesis of petrol. (05 Marks)
- Write a note on reforming of petrol. (04 Marks)
- Explain construction and working of silicon photovoltaic cell. (05 Marks)
2 a. What are reference electrodes? Explain the construction and working of calomel electrode.
- Calculate the standard electrode potential of Cu2+] Cu if its electrode potential at 25° C is 0.296V when [Cu2+] is 0.015 M. (03 Marks)
- What are ion-selective electrodes? Explain the measurement of pH of a solution using glass electrode. (07 Marks)
- Derive Neams’t equation on electrode potential. (05 Marks)
3 a. Explain the following battery characteristics:
i) Energy efficiency ii) Current capacity iii) Cycle life. (06 Marks)
- Describe the construction and working of Lead — acid battery. (08 Marks)
- Describe the construction and working of H2 -O2 fuel cell. (06 Marks)
4 a. Discuss the effect of following on the rate of corrosion.
i) Nature of the metal; ii) Nature of the corrosion product; iii) pH ; iv) area effect.
- Explain differential aeration corrosion with suitable example. (06 Marks)
- What is cathodic protection? How a metal is cathodically protected by sacrificial anode method. (06 Marks)
Part – B
5 a. Define polarization, decomposition potential and over voltage. Mention their significance
with reference to electrode position. (08 Marks)
- How do the following affect the nature of electroplating?
i) Current density ii) temperature iii) pH iv) Organic additives. (08 Marks)
- What is electroless plating? Mention any two advantages. (04 Marks)
6 a. What are liquid crystals? Distinguish between thermotropic and lyotropic liquid crystals
with examples. (06 Marks)
- Explain the working of liquid crystals in display systems. (06 Marks)
- What are the advantages of conductometric titrations over conventional titrations?
- Explain the determination of concentration of an unknown solution by colorimetric method. (05 Marks)
7 a. Define polymerization. Explain different types of polymerization processes with suitable
examples. (05 Marks)
- Give synthesis and uses of the following polymers i) Teflon ii) Neoprene (06 Marks)
- Write a note on compounding of resins. (04 Marks)
- Write preparation, properties and uses of epoxy resins. (05 Marks)
8 a. Explain temporary and permanant hardness of water. (04 Marks)
- Define B.O.D and C.O.D and mention various steps involved in sewage treatment.
- Describe the argentometric method of estimation of chloride content of a water sample.
- What is potable water? Describe the electrodialysis process of desalination of water.