VTU Exam Papers Engineering Chemistry Dec 09 Jan10
VTU Exam Papers Engineering Chemistry
1st & 2nd Sem B.E. Degree Examination, Dec.09/Jan. 10
Note: Answer any FIVE full questions.
- What are liquid crystals? Distinguish between thermotropic and lyotropic liquid crystals with suitable examples. (06 Marks)
- Mention any four applications ofliquid crystals. (04 Marks)
- How is ethanol manufactured by the fermentation of molasses? (05 Marks)
- Write an explanatory note on biofuels. (05 Marks)
- What are chemical fuels? Give the classification of chemical fuels with suitable examples.
, Differentiate between gross calorific value and net calorific value. (05 Marks)
- With a neat diagram explain the determination of calorific value of a solid fuel and explain the determination of water equivalent of calorimeter. (10 Marks)
- Explain the determination of EMF of a galvanic cell. (OS Marks)
- Derive the Nemst equation for single electrode potential and cell potential. (07 Marks)
- Iron rod is immersed in i.O m FeS(>4 and Mn rod is immersed in 0.1 m MnSC>4. Calculate the voltage generated by coupling these two electrodes given standard reduction potential of
“ Fe and Mn are -0.40 V and -1.18 V respectively.
What is photochemical smog? How is it formed?
What are its ill effects
Explain the Cottrell smoke precipitator to control particulates.
Define BOD of sewage. What is its significance? How is it determined?
- What is a primary battery? Explain the construction and working of dry cell. (06 Marks)
- Explain the construction and working of lead acid battery. Give the reactions involved
(06 Marks) (04 Marks) (04 Marks)
- What is photochemical smog? How is it formed?
- What are its ill effects? Explain the Cottrell smoke precipitator to control particulates.
- Define BOD of sewage. What is its significance? How is it determined?
- (06 Marks) (06 Marks) (08 Marks)
- What is corrosion? Explain the electrochemical theory of corrosion by taking iron as an example. ‘ (06 Marks)
- Write a note on corrosion inhibitors. (04 Marks)
- Define polarization, decomposition potential. (05 Marks)What is metal finishing? Mention the technological importance of metal finishing. (05 Marks)
- What is polymerization? Explain the different types of polymerization with a suitable example. ’ (08 Marks)
- Explain any two techniques of polymerization. (06 Marks)
- Explain the mechanism of free radical polymerization by taking ethylene as an example.
- (06 Mark Write a brief note on the following:
- > a. Glass transition temperature.
- Conducting polymers.
- Epoxy resin