VTU Exam Papers Computer Concepts and C – Programming
1st & 2nd Sem B.E. Degree Exam Dec. 07 – Jan. 08
Time; 3 hrs.
Note : Answer any FIVE full questions choosing atleast one from Part A.
- Explain with a diagram ihe Von Neumann concept of stored program computer. (10 Marks)
- Classify the following printers into impact / nonimpact types.
i) Dot matrix ii) Laser jet iii) Line iv) Daisy wheel and v) Thermal (05 Marks)
- What are volatile and non volatile memories? Give 2 examples for each. (05 Marks)
- What is O.S? Give the functions of an operating system. (05 Marks)
- List the advantages of LAN, WAN and Internet. (06 Marks)
- List and give their usage of any five UNIX commands. (05 Marks)
- Differentiate between interpreter and editor. (04 Marks)
- Give both flow chart and algorithm to test whether a given number is prime or not.
- Classify the following into valid and invalid variable names in C, if invalid give reasons:
i) int ii) $roll no iii) name I iv) James bond v) I class. (10 Marks)
- Explain assignment statement. How is it different from algebraic expression? Substantiate with examples. (04 Marks)
- Identify the wrong expressions from the following expressions and find the values of correct expressions. Take
ini I = 4, j = 2, k = 6, a = 2, n = 8;
i) P = ++-K; ii) a = -++K/2; iii) m = -H-I—K; iv) a = 2b++;
v) K = I++ + ++j; vi) — I ++ (06 Marks)
- Explain the formatted input / output statements used to input character and float variables, with examples. (10 Marks)
- Explain the use of break and continue statements in a loop. Supplement your explanation w-ith an example. (06 Marks)
- Compare while loop and do-while loop. Give one example for each. (06 Marks)
- Write a program to print all the points with integer coordinates enclosed within a circle of radius 4 units from origin. (08 Marks)
- You are given sufficient number of 5 paise, 10 paise, 20 paise, 25 paise and 50 paise denomination coins. Given a value ofR rupees and P paise, write a C program to determine the minimum number of coins to get the required value. Use any looping construct to implement the program. (10 Marks)
- Given two sets A and B of integers, write a program to read them, determine its UNION and INTERSECTION and print the resultant sets. (10 Marks)
- Write a program to input five numbers through the keyboard. Compute and display the sum of even numbers and product of odd numbers. (10 Marks)
- Describe the two ways of passing parameters to functions. When do you prefer to use each of them? Give examples. (10 Marks)
- Write a program that would sort a list of names in alphabetical order. (12 Marks)
- Write a program to display the value of variable and its location-using pointer. (08 Marks)