Syllabus of GTU Integrated Circuit and Application 5th Sem EC
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
Electronics & Communication Engineering
B. E. SEMESTER: V
Subject Name: Integrated Circuit and Application
Subject Code: 151003
1. Introduction to Operational Amplifiers:
Introduction, Block diagram representation of a typical op-amp, its equivalent circuit, types
of ICs, Manufacturers’ designations and package types for ICs, Power supplies for ICs
2. Interpretation of Data Sheets and Characteristics of an op-amp:
Interpreting datasheet, Ideal op-amp, Equivalent circuit of an op-amp, Ideal voltage transfer
curve, Open-loop op-amp configurations
3. An Op-amp with Negative Feedback:
Voltage-series feedback amplifier, Voltage-shunt feedback amplifier, Differential amplifier
4. The Practical op-amp:
Introduction, Input offset voltage, Input bias current, Input offset current, Total output offset
voltage, Thermal drift, Effect of variation in power supply voltage on offset voltage, Change
in input offset voltage and input offset current with time, Other op-amp parameters which
changes with change in temperature and supply voltage, noise, Common-mode
configuration and common-mode rejection ratio, Slew rate and it equations, Effect of slew
rate in applications, Difference between bandwidth, Transient response and slew rate
5. General Linear Applications:
DC and AC amplifiers, AC amplifiers with single supply voltage, Peaking amplifier,
Summing, Scaling and Averaging amplifier, Instrumentation amplifier – its block diagram
along with applications, Differential input and differential output amplifier, Voltage-to-current
converter with floating load (low-voltage DC voltmeter, low-voltage AC voltmeter, Diode
match finder, Zener diode tester, Light-emitting diode tester), Current-to-voltage converter,
Very high-input impedance circuit, Integrator, Differentiator.
6. Comparators and Converters:
Comparator, Zero Crossing Detector, Schmitt Trigger, Voltage limiters, Clipper and
clampers, Absolute value output circuit, Peak detector, Sample and hold Circuit, Precision
rectifier – Half/Full Wave, Square, Triangular and Saw tooth Wave Generator, Log/ Antilog
7. Active Filters:
Classification of filters, Magnitude and frequency scaling, Magnitude and attenuation
characteristics of ideal and practical filters, Design parameter Q & _0, Biquad (Universal)
filter design, Butter worth Low pass and Highpass filters – 1st and 2nd order circuits design,
Butterworth pole location, Sallen & Key circuit, Butterworth Bandpass Filters-Frequency
Transformation, Deliyannis- Friend circuit , Chebyshev filter characteristics, Band reject
8. Specialized IC Applications:
a. 555 Timer and its Applications:
Block Diagram, Monostable and Astable Multivibrator, Applications as Frequency
Divider, Square Wave Generator.
b. Free-Running Ramp Generator
c. Phase Locked Loop and Its Applications:
Block Diagram and Operation, Applications as Frequency Multiplier, Frequency Shift
d. Design of Power Supply:
Simple OP-AMP Voltage regulator, Three terminal Voltage regulators, Fixed and
Adjustable Voltage Regulators (78XX, LM317), Heat Sink, Dual Power supply (LM320,
LM317), Basic Switching Regulator and its characteristics.
e. Power Amplifiers:
Monolithic Power Amplifiers (LM380)
f. Function Generator: IC XR 2206
9. Operational Trans-conductance Amplifier:
Introduction, Internal diagram, Analysis, Active Filter
Suggested List of Experiments:
1. Measurement of input and output offset voltage of 741 ICs.
2. To configure op-amp in voltage follower mode and to measure its slew rate.
3. To configure op-amp in inverting and non-inverting amplifier mode and measure
their gain and bandwidth.
4. To prepare precision rectifier using op-amp and verify its operation using
5. To prepare full-wave rectifier using op-amp and verify its operation using
6. To measure PSRR and CMRR of given op-amp.
7. To design Schmitt trigger circuit using op-amp and take measurements.
8. To design, build astable and monostable multi-vibrators using 741 IC and verify their
operation using measurements by observing waveforms.
9. T design, build and obtain the frrquency responses of First order Low-Pass and
Band-Pass Active Filters.
10. To design triangular wave generator using op-amp and verify it operations with
11. To design and build second order Low-pass ,Band-pass, High-pass, All pass and
Band Elimination filters using BIQUAD Circuit.
12. To design Butterworth low-pass filter (Sallen-key citcuit), construct the same circuit
on breadboard and take necessary measurements
13. To design Friend Deliyannis band-pass filter, construct the same circuit on
breadboard and take necessary measurements.
14. To design monostable and astable multi-vibrators using 555 timer IC and verify their
operation using measurements.
15. To design,build and test Linear Voltage Regulators.
Miniproject based on 555/741/PLL applications/Analog filter is mandatory.
1. Op-amps and Linear Integrated Circuits, by Ramakant A. Gayakwad.
2. Design with Operational Amplifiers and Analog Integrated Circuits, by Sergio
Franco, Tata Mcgraw-hill 2009 Edition.
3. Linear Integrated Circuits, by D. Roy Choudhury and Shail B. Jain, New Age
International Publishers, 3rd Edition.
4. Design of Analog Filers, by R. Schaumann, and Mac E. Van Valkenburg.
To download engineering ebooks, medical ebooks, management ebooks, free ebooks please visit www.kopykitab.com