Sathyabama University Question Papers
Transmission And Distribution BE Fifth Sem
Answer All the Questions
1. What is meant by STACOM?
2. State Kelvin’s law and its limitations.
3. Distinguish between stranded and bundled conductors.
4. What is meant by proximity effect?
5. What is the use of power circle diagrams?
6. Define surge impedance.
7. Draw the stringing chart.
8. A single core cable has a conductor diameter of 1cm and internal
sheath diameter of 1.8cm. If impregnated paper of relative
permittivity 4 is used as the insulation, calculate the capacitance
for 1km length of the cable.
9. Define space height ratio.
10. Define utilization factor.
17. Elaborate the various methods to improve the string efficiency.
18. (a) Deduce an expression for the capacitance of a single core
(b) A 33kV, 50Hz, 3-phase underground cable, 4km long uses
three single core cables. Each of the conductor has a
diameter of 2.5cm and the radial thickness of insulation of
0.5cm and the radial thickness of insulation is 0.5cm.
(i) Capacitance of the cable/phase
(ii) Charging current/phase
(iii) Total charging kVAR.
The relative permittivity of insulation is 3.
19. Explain the working of the following
(a) Peterson coil
(b) Surge absorber.
20. Explain the various lighting schemes.