RTU Syllabus Electrical Engineering 8th Semester: The latest Electrical Engineering Syllabus and marking scheme let you know about the important chapters and concepts to be covered in all subjects. It will help you to boost your preparation for the 8th-semester exam.
You can also crack the various competitive exams like Gate, IES with depth knowledge in every topic of RTU Syllabus Electrical Engineering 8th Semester 2020.
Here we are providing you the complete guide on RTU Syllabus Electrical Engineering 8th Semester 2020 and Marking Scheme.
RTU Syllabus Electrical Engineering 8th Semester 2020
With the latest Electrical Engineering Syllabus for the 8th Semester, you can create the right preparation plan and score a better mark in all subjects in the semester exam.
You must have Electrical 8th Semester books & study materials, Previous years questions paper along with the latest Electrical 8th sem Syllabus to enhance your semester exam preparation,
Before starting the complete guide on RTU Syllabus Electrical Engineering 8th Semester 2020, let’s check the highlights of RTU from the table below.
RTU Kota Highlights:
|Formation||Govt. of Rajasthan|
|Type of University||State|
|University Location||Rajasthan Technical University,
Rawathbhata Road Kota-324010, Rajasthan, India.
Check the latest syllabus for RTU Electrical Engineering 8th sem from below.
EHV AC/DC Transmission
- EHV AC Transmission: Need of EHV transmission lines, power handling capacity and surge impedance loading. Problems of EHV transmission, Bundled Conductors: geometric mean radius of bundle, properties of bundle conductors. Electrostatic fields of EHV lines and their effects, corona effects: Corona loss, audio and radio noise.
- Load Frequency Control: Introduction to control of active and reactive power flow, turbine speed governing system. Speed governing characteristic of generating unit and load sharing between parallel operating generators Method of Load Frequency Control: Flat frequency, flat tie line and tie line load bias control. Automatic generation control (description of block diagram only).
- Voltage Control: No load receiving end voltage and reactive power generation. Methods of voltage control. Synchronous phase modifier
Shunt capacitors and reactors, saturable reactors, Thyristorised static VAR compensators- TCR, FC-TCR and TSC- TCR.
- FACTS: Introduction to FACTS controllers, types of FACTS controllers, Brief description of STATCOM, Thyristor controlled series capacitors and unified power flow controller.
- HVDC Transmission: Types of D.C. links, advantages and disadvantages of HVDC transmission. Basic scheme and equipment of converter station. Ground return. Basic principles of DC link control and basic converter control characteristics. Application of HVDC transmission.
- W. Kimbark: Direct Current Transmission, Vol. 1, Wiley Interscience.
- R. Padiyar: HVDC Power Transmission System, Wiley Eastern Ltd.
- R. Padiyar: HVDC Power Transmission Systems. NEW AGE PUB
- Arrillaga: H.V.D.C Transmission, Peter Peregrines.
- Arrillaga HVDC et. al, : Computer Modelling of Electrical Power System. John Wiley.
Electric Drives And Their Control
- Dynamics of Electric Drives: Fundamental torque equations, speed-torque conventions and multi-quadrant operation, Nature and classification of load torques, steady state stability, load equalization, close loop configurations of drives.
- DC Drives: Speed torque curves, torque and power limitation in armature voltage and field control, Starting, Braking: Regenerative Braking, dynamic braking and plugging. Speed Control-Controlled Rectifier fed DC drives, Chopper Controlled DC drives
- Induction Motor Drives-I: Starting, Braking-Regenerative braking, plugging and dynamic braking. Speed Control: Stator voltage control, variable frequency control from voltage source, Voltage Source Inverter (VSI) Control.
- Induction Motor Drives-II: Variable frequency control from current source, Current Source Inverter (CSI) Control, Cycloconverter Control, Static rotor resistance control, Slip Power Recovery- Stator Scherbius drive, Static Kramer drive.
- Synchronous Motor Drive: Control of Synchronous Motor-Separately Controlled and VSI fed Self-Controlled Synchronous Motor Drives.
Dynamic and Regenerative Braking of Synchronous Motor with VSI. Control of Synchronous Motor Using Current Source Inverter (CSI).
- K. Dubey: Fundamentals of Electrical Drives, Narosa Publishing House, New Delhi.
- K. Bose: Power Electronics and Motor Drives, Elsevier.
- Subrahmanyam: Electric Drives- Concepts and Applications, MGH.
- Theodore Wildi: Electrical Machines, Drives and Power Systems, Pearson
- K. Pillai: A First Course on Electrical Drives, Wiley Eastern limited, India.
- K. De and Prashant K. Sen: Electric Drives, Prentice Hall of India Ltd.
Protection Of Power System
- Causes and consequences of dangerous currents: Faults, overloads and switching over currents. Introduction to protection, trip circuit of a circuit breaker. Functional characteristics of a relay, zone of protection, primary and backup protection. CTs &PTs: Current transformer construction, measurement and protective CTs. Type of potential transformers. Steady state ratio and phase angle errors in CTs and
Transient errors in CT and CVT (Capacitive Voltage Transformer).
- Overcurrent Protection: HRC fuse and thermal relay. Overcurrent relays – instantaneous, definite time, inverse time and inverse definite minimum time overcurrent relays, time and current gradings. Induction disc type relay. Directional overcurrent relay, 300, 600 and 900 connections. Earth fault relay. Brief description of overcurrent protective schemes for a feeder, parallel feeders and ring mains.
- Generator Protection: Stator protection–differential and percentage differential protection, protection against stator inter-turn faults, stator overheating protection. Rotor protection-protection against excitation and prime mover failure, field earth fault and unbalanced stator currents (negative sequence current protection).
- Transformer Protection: Percentage differential protection, magnetizing inrush current, percentage differential relay with harmonic restraint. Buchholz relay. Differential protection of generator transfer unit. Busbar Protection: Differential protection of busbars. Highimpedance relay scheme, frame leakage protection
- Transmission Line Protection: Introduction to distance protection. Construction, operating principle and characteristics of an electromagnetic impedance relay. Effect of arc resistance.Induction cup type reactance and mho relays. Comparison between impedance, reactance and mho relays. Three stepped distance protection of transmission line.
- Induction Motor Protection: Introduction to various faults and abnormal operating conditions, unbalance supply voltage and single phasing. Introduction to protection of induction motors- HRC fuse and overcurrent, percentage differential, earth fault and negative sequence voltage relays.
- Badri Ram: Power System Protection and Switchgear, MGH.
- Ravindra Nath M. Chander: Power System Protection and Switch Gear, John Wiley Eastern.
- Sunil S. Rao.: Power System Protection and Switch Gear, Khanna Publishers.
- Oza: Power System Protection and Switchgear, MGH.
Utilization Of Electrical Power
- Electric Heating: Different methods of electric heating. Principle of high frequency induction and dielectric heating. Construction, operation, performance and applications of arc furnace and induction furnace
- Electric Welding: Welding process, welding transformer, Classification of Electric Welding: arc welding, resistance welding, welding of various metals.
- Illuminations: Definitions, laws of illuminations, polar curves, luminous efficiency, photometer, incandescent lamps, filament materials, Halogen lamp, electric discharge lamps, sodium vapour lamp, mercury vapour lamp and fluorescent lamp. Light Calculations: commercial, industrial, street and flood lighting.
- Electrolytic Process: Principles and applications of electrolysis, electro-deposition, Manufactures of chemicals, anodizing, electro-polishing electro-cleaning, electroextraction, electro-refining, electro-stripping (parting) power supplies for electrolytic process.
- Electric Traction & Means of Supplying Power: Systems of Electric Traction: DC & AC Systems, Power Supply for Electric Traction System: Comparison and application of different systems. Sub-station equipment and layout, conductor rail & pantograph.
- Traction Methods: Types of services, speed time and speed distance curves, estimation of power and energy requirements, Mechanics of train movement. Co-efficient of adhesion, Adhesive weight, effective weight. Traction Motor Controls: DC and AC traction motors, Series parallel starting. Methods of electric braking of traction motors.
- L. Wadhwa: Utilization of Electric Traction Electric Power.
- Partab: Art and Science of Electrical Energy, Dhanpat Rai & Sons.
- Partab:Modern Electric Traction, Dhanpat Rai & Sons
Facts Devices & Their Applications
- Problems of AC transmission systems, power flow inparallel paths and meshed system, factors limiting loading capability, Stability consideration. Power flow control of an ac transmission line. Basic types of facts controllers. Advantages of FACTS technology.
- Voltage-Sourced Converters: Basic concept of voltage-sourced converters, single and three phase bridge converters. Introduction to power factor control. Transformer connections for 12-pulse, 24 pulse and 48 pulse operations.
- Static Shunt Compensators: Mid-point and end point voltage regulation of transmission line, and stability improvement. Basic operating principle of Static Synchronous Compensators (STATCOM). Comparison between STATCOM and SVC.
- Static Series Compensators: Concept of series capacitive compensation, voltage and transient stabilities, power oscillation and sub synchronous oscillation damping. Introduction to thyristors witched series capacitor (TSSC), thyristor controlled series capacitor (TCSC), and static synchronous series compensator, – operation, characteristics and applications.
- Static Voltage and Phase Angle Regulators: Voltage and phase angle regulation. Power flow control and improvement of stability by phase angle regulator. Introduction to thyristor controlled voltage and phase angle regulators (TCVR and TCPAR) (ii) Introduction to thyristor controlled braking resistor and thyristor controlled voltage limiter.
- UPFC: Unified Power Flow Controller (UPFC), basic operating principles, conventional transmission control capabilities. Comparison of UPFC to series compensators and phase angle regulator. Applications of UPFC.
- IPFC: Interline Power Flow Controller (IPFC), basic operating principles and characteristics. Applications of IPFC.
- R. Padiyar: Flexible AC Transmission Systems
- G. Hingorani, L. Gyugyi: Understanding FACTS: IEEE Press Book.
- Yong Hua Song, Allan T Johns : Flexible AC Transmission Systems FACTS
- Xiao Ping Zhang, Christian Rehtanz, Bikash Pal: Flexible AC Transmission Systems.
- Mohan & R. M. Mathur: Thyristor-based FACTS Controllers for Electrical Transmission Systems, John Wiley
Power System Transients
- Wave terminology, Development of wave quotations, Terminal problems, Lattice diagrams, Origin and Nature of power system transients and surges, Surge parameters of plants, Equivalent Circuit representations. Lumped and distributed circuit transients.
- Line energisation and de-energisation transients-Earth and earthwire effects. Current chopping in circuit breakers. Short line fault condition and its relation to circuit breaker duty. Trapped charge effects. Effect of source and source representation in short line fault studies.
- Control of transients, Lightening phenomenon, influence of tower footing resistance and earth resistance, Traveling waves in distributed parameters multiconductor lines, parameters as a function of frequency.
- Mechanism of Lightning Discharge Types of Lightning strokes, Harmful effects of lighting, protections against lightning, overhead Ground wires.
- Lightening Arresters, Types of lightening arresters, Surge Absorber simulatio of surge diverters in transient analysis. Fourier integral and z transform methods in power system transient.
- S. Indulkar and D. P. Kothari: Power System Transients, NEW AGE.
- Lou Van der Sluis: Transients in Power Systems, John Wiley
- R. Watson, J. Arrillaga: Power Systems Electromagnetic Transients, John Wiley
Computer Based Power System Lab
- Fault analysis (for 3 to 6 bus) and verify the results using MATLAB or any available software for the cases: (i) LG Fault (ii) LLG Fault (iii) LL Fault and (iv) 3-Phase Fault
- Load flow analysis for a given system (for 3 to 6 bus) using (i) Gauss Seidal (ii) Newton Raphson (iii) Fast Decoupled Method and verify results using MATLAB or any available software
- Study of voltage security analysis
- Study of overload security analysis and obtain results for the given problem using MATLAB or any software.
- Study of economic load dispatch problem with different methods.
- Study of transient stability analysis using MATLAB/ETAP Software.
Electrical Drives And Control Lab
- Study and test the firing circuit of three phase half controlled bridge converter.
- Study and obtain waveforms of 3 phase half controlled bridge converter with R and RL loads.
- Study and test the firing circuit of 3-phase full controlled bridge converter.
- Study and obtain waveforms of 3-phase full controlled bridge converter with R and RL loads.
- Study and test 3-phase AC voltage regulator.
- Control speed of dc motor using 3-phase half controlled bridge converter. Plot armature voltage versus speed characteristic.
- Control speed of dc motor using 3-phase full controlled bridge converter. Plot armature voltage versus speed characteristic.
- Control speed of a 3-phase induction motor in variable stator voltage mode using 3-phase AC voltage regulator.
- Control speed of a 3-phase BLDC motor.
- Control speed of a 3-phase PMSM motor using frequency and voltage control
- Control speed of universal motor using AC voltage regulator.
- Study 3-phase dual converter.
- Study speed control of dc motor using 3-phase dual converter.
- Study three-phase cycloconverter and speed control of synchronous motor using cycloconverter.
- Control of 3-Phase Induction Motor in variable frequency V/f constant mode using 3-phase inverter
High Voltage Engineering Lab
- Study filtration and Treatment of transformer oil.
- Determine dielectric strength of transformer oil.
- Determine capacitance and dielectric loss of an insulating material using Schering bridge.
- Study solid dielectrics used in power apparatus.
- Study applications of insulating materials.
- Study direct testing and indirect testing of circuit breakers.
- Study high voltage testing of electrical equipment: line insulator, cable, bushing, power capacitor, and power transformer.
- Design an EHV transmission line.
All Semester Syllabus for RTU Electrical Engineering
You should have the following syllabus to boost your exam preparation for the RTU Electrical Engineering.
Click on the link to access all semester syllabus related to Electrical Engineering.
- 3rd Semester Electrical Syllabus & Marking Scheme
- 4th Semester Electrical Syllabus & Marking Scheme
- 5th Semester Electrical Syllabus & Marking Scheme
- 6th Semester Electrical Syllabus & Marking Scheme
- 7th Semester Electrical Syllabus & Marking Scheme
RTU Electrical Engineering 8th Semester Marking Scheme
Here you can check the latest Electrical Engineering 8th Semester Marking Scheme.
|Hrs. / Week||IA||Exam||Total|
|8EE1A||EHV AC/DC Transmission||3||1||Theory Subjects||20||80||100|
|8EE2A||Electric Drives and Their Control||3||1||20||80||100|
|8EE3A||Protection of Power System||3||20||80||100|
|8EE4.1A||Utilization of Electrical Power||3||20||80||100|
|8EE4.2A||FACTS Devices & Their Applications|
|8EE4.3A||Power System Transients|
|8EE5A||Computer Based Power System Lab||Practical laboratory courses||3||60||40||100|
|8EE6A||Electrical Drives and Control Lab||3||60||40||100|
|8EE7A||High Voltage Engineering Lab||2||50|
|8EEDC||Discipline & Extra Curricular Activity||50|
Meaning Of various letters:
- L: Lecture, T: Tutorial, P: Practical, Cr: Credits ETE: End Term Exam, IA: Internal Assessment
We have covered the complete guide on RTU Syllabus Electrical Engineering 8th Semester 2020. feel free to ask us any questions in the comment section below