RTM Nagpur University BE 1st SEM
Unit –I: (10 Hrs)
Introduction to Civil Engineering
Introduction and scope of Civil Engineering. Role of Engineers in the infrastructure development. General concepts related to building. Selection of site, basic functions of buildings, types of buildings – Residential, Public, Commercial, and Industrial.Principles of planning, orientation of buildings, introduction to bye-laws regarding building line, Height of building, open space requirement, F.S.I., Carpet area, built up area, setbacks, ventilation. Components of Buildings Introduction to Types of loads on buildings.
Substructure – Types of soils; rocks and foundation strata, concept of bearing capacity, Types of foundation and their suitability.
Superstructure –Types of construction: Load Bearing, Framed, and Composite.
Introduction to basic construction materials; cement, bricks, stone, aggregates, reinforcing steel, structural glazing, structural steel; Concrete types: PCC, RCC, Prestressed, Precast and Ready Mix Concrete.Use of various eco- friendly materials in construction.
Unit – II: (10 Hrs)
Various types of maps and their uses; Introduction to digital mapping; Principles of survey. Introduction to various survey instruments such as EDM, Lasers, Total Station, and digital planimeter. Modern survey methods.Introduction to GIS, GPS and their applications. Transportation Engineering Role of transportation in national development; Various modes of Transportation. Classification of Highways: Expressways, NH, SH, MDR, ODR, VR; Types of Pavements, Traffic Signs, signals, Parking system, and Causes of Accidents.
Unit –III: (10 Hrs)
Environment and Natural Resource Management Water supply – Sources, drinking water requirements, impurities in water and their effects; Purification of water, modern purification processes; Standards of purified water. Waste Management: Collection and Disposal methods of Liquid, solid and gaseous wastes. Water Resources Engineering
Introduction to Hydraulic structures of storage; water conveyance systems; Watershed management: Definition, Necessity and methods; Roof top rain water harvesting and Ground water recharge: relevance and methods.
Unit –IV: (10 Hrs)
Instrumentation in Civil Engineering Structures: Various Instruments used in construction, water resources, Environmental Engineering, Foundation Engineering, Thermocouples, condition monitoring equipments, Half Cell Potentiometers, Strain Gauges. Management of Utilities using telemetry & SCADA System.
Sustainable Development: Role of Engineers in Sustainable Development. Concept of green buildings and LEED Certification.
[Note: Minimum 4 Assignments based on the Syllabus]
1. Elements of Civil Engineering:By S. S. Bhavikatti
2. Basic Civil Engineering:By Dr. B. C. Punmia, Ashok Kumar Jain, Arun Kumar Jain.
3. Concrete Technology:By M.S.Shetty
4. Surveying And Levelling:By Kanetkar and Kulkarni
5. Irrigation And Hydraulic Structures:By S.K.Garg 6. Water Supply And Sanitary Engineering: Including Environmental Engineering, Water And Air Pollution Laws And Ecology:By G. S. Birdie, J. S. Birdie 7. Building Construction:By Sushil Kumar
8. Transportation Engineering:By Khanna & Justo
9. Building Drawing Design:By Shah and Kale
10. Construction Planning ,Equipments And Methods:Robert Peurifoy, Clifford J. Schexnayder, Aviad Shapira and Robert Schmitt