GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING –
Three phase diagram -Classification of Soils ; Permeability and Seepage Analysis – Effective stress and
quick sand phenomenon; Compaction – Stress distribution in soils – Boussinesq’s and Westergaard’s equations
– Consolidation of Soils – Terzaghi’s Theory – magnitude and rate of consolidation settlements; Shear strength
of soils – Mohr-coulomb failure criterion – Measurement of shear strength – Slope Stability.
1. C. Venkatramaiah, Geotechnical Engineering, New Age Intl. Publishers Ltd., New Delhi, 2009.
2. Gopal Rajan and A.S.R. Rao, Basic and Applied Soil Mechanics, New Age Int. Pub., New Delhi 2009.
3. Subhash Chander, Geotechnical and Foundation Engineering, 3rd Edition, Jain Brothers, New Delhi,
4. T.N. Ramamurthy and T.G. Sitharam, Geotechnical Engineering, S. Chand & Co. Ltd., Delhi, 2008.