NIT Trichy Civil Engineering Syllabus Geotechnical Engineering
NIT Trichy Civil Engineering Syllabus Geotechnical Engineering I
GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING – I
Historical development of Soil Engineering – Origin and general types of soils – soil structure,
clay minerals-Three phase system- Identification and Classification of soils
Soil water – capillary phenomena – concept of effective and neutral stresses – Permeability
– determination of coefficient of permeability in the laboratory – Seepage flow – Head,
gradient, pressure – steady state flow – two dimensional – flow net.
Vertical stress distribution in soil – Boussinesq and Westergaard’s equation –
Newmark’s influence chart – principle, construction and use – Equivalent point load and
other approximate methods – pressure bulb. Compaction
Shear strength – Mohr-Coulomb failure criterion – shear strength tests – Different
drainage conditions – Shear properties of cohesionless and cohesive soils – Use of Mohr’s
circle – relationship between principal stresses and shear parameters.
Compressibility and consolidation – Terzaghi’s one dimensional consolidation theory –
pressure void ratio relationship – preconsolidation pressure – Total settlement and time
rate of settlement – coefficient of consolidation – curve fitting methods – Correction for
1. Gopal Ranjan and Rao, P. Basic and Applied Soil Mechanics, New Age International Pvt.
Limited, New Delhi, 2002.
2. Murthy, V.N.S., A text book of Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, UBS
Publishers Distributors Ltd., New Delhi, 1999
3. Punmia, B.C. Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Laxmi Publications Pvt. Ltd.,
New Delhi, 1995.
4. Braja M. Das, Fundamentals of Geotechnical Engineering, Thomson Asia Pvt. Ltd.,