NIT Jamshedpur Electrical and Electronics Syllabus
CONTROL SYSTEMS LABORATORY
Speed-torque characteristics of AC servo-motor- Study of effects of feedback- Time-response of first and
second order systems- Frequency-response of second order system- Study of PID controller- Design of lag
and lead compensator- Study of synchro- Determination of transfer function of a DC motor- Design of PID
controller- Study of feed-forward control- Design of two loop systems
EE356 ELECTRICAL MACHINES LABORATORY – II (0-0-3) 2
Determination of Equivalent circuit parameters of three phase induction motor- Brake test on 3-phase induction
motor- Circle diagram of 3-phase induction motor- Speed control of 3-phase induction motor- Single phase
operation of 3-phase induction motor- Regulation of 3-phase alternator by Z.P.F. method- Parallel operation
of alternators- Determination of V and inverted V curves of 3-phase synchronous machine- Characteristics
of 3-phase Schrage motor- No load and load Characteristics of an Amplidyne – Determination of equivalent
circuit parameters of single phase induction motor.
ME435 INDUSTRIAL MANAGEMENT (3-0-0)3
Management theory and practice: functions of management; Hawthorne Experiments, leadership styles
and motivational theories. Marketing management: Marketing management process, product life cycle and
marketing strategies. Operations management: Productivity and work study, operations strategy, statistical
process control, Taguchi’s parametric design, Quality function deployment, Introduction to TQM and ISO
9000. inventory costs, ABC classification, EOQ, P and Q inventory systems. Project management: project
planning and feasibility analysis, project scheduling methods.
1. Koontz., H. et al., Essentials of Management, 7th Edition, McGraw Hill Book Company, New York, 2007.
2. Philip Kotler., Marketing Management, 13th Edition, Prentice Hall of India/Pearson, New Delhi, 2009.
3. Chase, Shankar, Jacobs and Aquilano, Operations and Supply Management, 12th Edition, Tata McGraw
Hill, New Delhi, 2010.
EE401 SOLID STATE DRIVES (3-1-0)4
Introduction – Electrical Drives, Parts of Electrical Drives, Modulators, Control unit. Dynamics of electrical
drives – Fundamental Torque Equation. Control of electric motors – Converters for feeding Motor Drives,
Phase Controlled Line commutated converter. Induction Motor Drives – Control techniques for electric drives,
Block Diagram representation of Drive systems, Signal Flow Graph representation, Transfer functions. Energy
conservation in electric drives – Use of efficient converters.
1. G.K. Dubey, Fundamentals of Electric Drives, Second Edition, Narosa Publishers, 2007.
2. N. K. De, P. K. Sen: Electric Drives, 7th Edition, PHI Learning Pvt. Ltd., 2004.
3. Bimal K. Bose, Power Electronics and Motor Drives: Advances and Trends, Academic Press, 2006.
4. S. K. Pillai : A First Course On Electrical Drives, Second Edition, New Age International Publishers,
EE402 HVDC AND FACTS (3-1-0) 4
HVDC Transmission: – Comparison of AC&DC Transmission. Analysis of HVDC converters – converter
configuration. Converter and HVDC system control- Principles of DC link control, Converter control
B.Tech. Electrical and Electronics Engineering – Scheme and Syllabi
characteristics, Harmonics and Filters Types of AC Filters. Power Flow Analysis in AC/DC Systems – General
Modeling of DC links, Solutions of AC- DC power flow.
Flexible AC Transmission Systems (FACTS): FACTS concept and General System Considerations, Static
Shunt Compensators – SVC and STATCOM – Objectives of shunt compensation, Methods of controllable
VAR generation. Static Series Compensators – GCSC, TSSC, TCSC and SSSC. Combined Compensators:
1. K.R. Padiyar, HVDC Power Transmission System, New Age Intl. Co, 2002.
2. Vijay K. Sood : HVDC and FACTS Controllers: Applications of Static Converters in Power Systems,
3. Chan-Ki Kim, Vijay K. Sood, Gil-Soo Jang, HVDC Transmission : Power Conversion Applications in
Power Systems, John Wiley & Sons Publishers, 2009.
4. K.R.Padiyar, FACTS Controllers in Power Transmission and Distribution, 2009.
EE411 AI TECHNIQUES IN ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING (3-0-0)3
Artificial neural networks – Introduction Models of Neuron Network – Artificial Intelligence and Neural networks.
ANN paradigms: Multi – layer perceptron using Back propagation Algorithm (BPA) – Radial Basis Function
Network. Fuzzy logic – Introduction – Fuzzy versus crisp – Fuzzy sets. Genetic Algorithms: Introduction-
Encoding -Fitness Function – Genetic Modeling -Genetic operators-Cross over-Single. Applications of AI
techniques: Load forecasting – Load flow studies.
1. S. Rajasekaran and G.A.V.Pai, Neural Networks, Fuzzy Logic and Genetic Algorithms, PHI, New Delhi,
2. S. Rajasekaran, G. A. Vijayalakshmi Pai : Neural Networks, Fuzzy Logic and Genetic Algorithms: Synthesis
and Applications, PHI Learning Pvt. Ltd., 2004.
3. Rajendra Akerkar : Introduction to Artificial Intelligence, PHI Learning Pvt. Ltd., 2005.
EE412 COMPUTER METHODS IN POWER SYSTEMS (3-0-0)3
Incidence and network matrices: Introduction, Graphs, primitive network. Algorithms for formation of zbus
matrix. Short – circuit studies: Short_ circuit calculations using Zbus, Zfabc, Yfabc, zf012, Yf012 matrices
for various faults. Sparsity technique in load flow studies. Review and comparison of GS, NR, FDC models.
Introduction to real – time control of power system: linear state estimation WLS equations, SCADA. Transient
stability analysis: Representation of transmission networks.
1. Pai: Computer Techniques in Power System Analysis, 2nd Edition,, Tata McGraw-Hill Education, 2005.
2. K U Rao: Computer Techniques and Models In Power Systems, I. K. International Pvt Ltd, 2009.
3. Stagg and El Abiad, Computer Methods in Power Systems Analysis, McGraw Hill ISE, 1986.
EE413 ELECTRIC TRACTION (3-0-0)3
Traction systems: Methods of traction Electrification, Kando System, Single phase to DC system. Traction
mechanics: Speed characteristics, Power rating of traction motors. Braking: Types of braking. Power supply
arrangements: Major equipment at sub-station. Rectification equipment and semiconductor devices: Choppers
for variable frequency AC and Variable voltage converters for HVDC. Train lighting. Radio Interference:
Principle of radio interference.
1. J.B.Gupta : Utilization of Electric Power and Electric Traction, 9th Edition, S.K.Kataria & Sons, 2008.
2. Andreas Steimel : Electric Traction – Motion Power and Energy Supply, Oldenbourg Industrieverlag
EE414 SWITCHED MODE POWER CONVERSION (3-0-0)3
DC/DC converters: Basic topologies of buck, boost, buck-boost converters, isolated DC/DC converter
topologies. Current mode and current fed topologies: Voltage mode and current mode control of converters.
B.Tech. Electrical and Electronics Engineering – Scheme and Syllabi
Resonant converters: types of resonant converters. Converter transfer functions. Power converter design:
Design of filter inductor and capacitor, and power transformer. Controller design: mechanisms of loop
stabilization, shaping E/A gain vs. frequency characteristic.
1. Ned Mohan, Tore M. Undeland: Power Electronics: Converters, Applications and Design, 3rd Edition,
John Wiley & Sons, 2007.
2. P.C. Sen: Modern Power Electronics, S. Chand-2004.
3. Andrzej M. Trzynadlowski, Introduction to Modern Power Electronics, 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons,
4. Abraham I. Pressman, Switching Power Supply Design, 2nd Edition, McGraw Hill International, 1999.
EE451 POWER SYSTEMS LABORATORY (0-0-3)2
Experiments on long transmission line. characteristics of Static differential Relay. characteristics of IDMT
over current relay. Symmetrical component analyzer. Fault studies on DC Network Analyzer. Sequence
reactance’s of power system elements and fault studies. Reactive power control EMTP Simulation –
Measurement of High AC Voltages-. tests on solid insulation.- Impulse tresting–Simulation MATLAB (simulink)
and design of controllers-Design of Fuzzy Logic controllers for Power System stability enhancement.
EE452 POWER ELECTRONICS AND DRIVES LABORATORY (0-0-3)2
Fully controlled rectifier feeding loads. half-controlled rectifier feeding loads Boost and Buck-boost convertersfully
controlled DC power supply. six-pulse half controlled and fully controlled rectifiers feeding R, RL loads.
Speed control of induction motor using 3-phase inverter. characteristics of class -D commutated step-down
chopper, 4-quadrant AC chopper. PWM controlled AC-DC converter. Active tap changing 1-Ph voltage
controller. Study of characteristics of DC-DC buck converter.
EE461 DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM PLANNING AND AUTOMATION (3-0-0)3
Distribution system planning: Planning and forecasting techniques – Load characteristics: Definitions – tariffs
and metering of energy. Distribution Transformers: Types. Distribution sub-stations and primary systems:.
Voltage drop and power loss calculations: Distribution feeder costs. Capacitors in distribution systems:
justification for capacitors. Distribution system automation: Automation – Communication systems.
1. Turan Gonen: Electric Power Distribution Systems, CRC Press, 2006.
2. Dr. M.K. Khedkar, Dr. G.M. Dhole : A Textbook of Electric Power Distribution Automation, Laxmi
Publications, Ltd., 2010.
3. Pabla, A. S.: Electric Power Distribution, 6th Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill Education, 2011.
4. M. V. Deshpande: Electrical Power System Design, Tata McGraw-Hill Education, 2001.
EE462 HIGH VOLTAGE ENGINEERING (3-0-0) 3
Electro static fields: Electric Field intensity, Electric strength. Generation of high dc and ac voltages: Cockcroft-
Walton voltage multiplier circuit. Generation of impulse voltages and currents: Definitions. Measurement of
high voltages and currents: sphere gap, rod gap. High voltage testing of electrical equipment. Non-destructive
test techniques: High voltage Schering Bridge. Breakdown mechanism of gaseous liquid and solid insulating
materials: Introduction, Townsend’s first ionization coefficient.
1. Ravindra Arora and Wolfgang Mosch: High Voltage Insulation Engineering, New Age International
2. Naidu : High Voltage Engineering, 4th Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill Education, 2009.
3. C.L. Wadhwa : High Voltage Engineering, 2nd Edition, New Age International, 2007.