NIT Hamirpur Syllabus SOLID WASTES AND ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION
SOLID WASTES AND ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION
Municipal Solid Waste: Generation, Rate Variation, Characteristics (Physical, Biological and
Chemical); Management Options for Solid Waste, Waste Reduction at the Source, Collection
techniques, Materials and Resources Recovery / Recycling. Transport of Municipal Solid
Waste, Routing and Scheduling, Treatment, Transformations and Disposal Techniques
(Composting, Vermi Composting, Incineration, Refuse Derived fuels, Landfilling).
Hazardous waste management: Exposure and risk assessment, environment legislation, chara
cterization and site assessment, waste minimization, incineration, transportation, storage, land
fill disposal. Air Pollution, Meteorology of Air Pollution, Particulate Emission Control
Devices, Gaseous Pollutants Control,
environmental assessment, acts relating to air pollution, standards.
1. Hazardous Waste management : M.D. LaGrega, P.L. Buckingham, J.C.Evans
2. Introduction to Environmental Engineering: M.L.Davis and D.A.Cornwell.
3. Integrated solid Waste Management,Principles and Management Issues: G.
4. Air Pollution Control and Design for Industry – Paul N. Cheremiseriniff.
5. Air Pollution and Industry – R.D. Ross
6. Introduction to Air Pollution and Control – MuralikrishnaCE