NIT Hamirpur Syllabus Soil Dynamics
NIT Hamirpur Syllabus SOIL DYNAMICS
1. Introduction: Soil mechanics and soil dynamics, Nature ofdynamic loads, Stress conditions on soil
elements under earthquake loading, Problems of dynamic loading of soil and soil structures.
Earthquakes causes, origin, classification and effects.
2. Vibration theory: Undamped and damped vibrations, Forced vibrations with harmonic
excitation, System under transient vibrations, Rayleigh’s method, Logarithmic decrement,
Determination of viscous damping, Transmissibility, Principles of vibration measuring
instruments, (vibration), Systems with multi degree of freedom, Spectral response.
3. Wave propagation: Wave propagation in an elastic rod, elastic infinite medium, semi?infinite
elastic half space, Waves generated by a surface footing.
4. Dynamic properties: Introduction to dynamic tests, Pendulum loading apparatus, Behavior of
saturated sands under transit loading, Effects of static stress level and number of pulses on
strength of cohesive solids, Oscillatory simple shear, Resonant column apparatus, Wave
propagation methods, Block resonance test, Cyclic plate load test.
5. Dynamic Earth pressure: Behavior of retaining walls during earthquakes, Modification on
Coulomb’s theory Modified Cullman’s construction, Analytical solution of c?? soils,
displacement analysis, Indian standard code of practice.
6. Dynamic bearing capacity : Earthquake load on footing, Effect of horizontal load and
moment, Dynamic analysis for vertical and horizontal loads.
7. Liquefaction: Theory and criterion of liquefaction, factors affecting liquefaction characteristics,
Liquefaction studies in triaxial shear and oscillatory simple shear, Evaluation of liquefaction
potential, Liquefaction analysis from standard penetration test data, Introduction to shake
table and field test.
8. Machine foundation: Vertical sliding, Rocking, Yawing vibrations of a block, Simultaneous
rocking sliding and vertical vibrations of a block, India standards for design of foundations for
reciprocating machines and impact type of machines.
1. Saran Swami, Soil dynamics and machine foundations, Galgotia Publications, New Delhi.
2. Das, Braja M. Principles of soil dynamics, Thomson Learning, Australia.
1. Prakash, Shamsher, Soil dynamics McGraw?Hill, New York.
2. Bureau of Indian Standards, Glossary of terms relating to soil dynamics, Bureau of
Indian Standards , New Delhi