NIT Hamirpur Syllabus HIGHWAY ENGINEERING AND FLYOVERS
HIGHWAY ENGINEERING AND FLYOVERS
1. Road Development and Planning: Road cross?section, Necessity of transportation planning,
Classification of roads, Road patterns, Planning surveys, Saturation system
2. Highway Location and Alignment: Ideal alignment and factor controlling, Engineering survey for
highway location, Drawing and Reports, Highway projects
3. Highway Geometric Design: Highway cross?section elements, Sight distances, Design of horizontal
alignment, Transition curves and Vertical alignment, Design aspects of hill roads.
4. Traffic Engineering: Traffic characteristics, Traffic studies and their uses, Traffic flow characteristics,
Traffic data collection, traffic control devices, Intersections & Rotaries, Traffic signs, Road markings,
5. Pavement Design: Design factors, Design of Pavement materials, CBR, Group Index and Burmister
methods, Design of rigid pavements, Pavement material and their characteristics.
6. Construction of Roads: Construction of water bound macadam roads, bituminous pavements,
cement concrete roads, design and construction of joints in cement concrete pavements.
7. Highway Maintenance: Pavement failures, maintenance of highway pavement, evaluation and
strengthening of existing pavements.
8. Flyovers: Grade separated intersections, Clover leaf, Design of flyovers
1. Highway Engineering S K Khanna and C E G Justo
2. Principles of Transportation EngineeringPartha Chakraborty and Animesh Das
1. Traffic Engineering and Transport Planning L R Kadiyali
2. Highway Vol. 1 and 2 C A O Flaherty
3. Highway Engineering S K Sharma