NIT Hamirpur Syllabus GROUND IMPROVEMENT TECHNIQUES
GROUND IMPROVEMENT TECHNIQUES
1. Dewatering: Need and objectives of Ground Improvement, Classification of Ground Modification
Techniques ? suitability and feasibility, Emerging Trends in ground improvement, methods of de?
watering? sumps and interceptor ditches? single, multi stage well points ? vacuum well points?
Horizontal wells?foundation drains?blanket drains? criteria for selection of fill material around
2. Dynamic compaction: Principles of compaction, Engineering behaviour of compacted clays,
fieldcompaction techniques static vibratory, impact, Earth moving machinery, Compaction
control, application to granular soils, cohesive soils, depth of improvement, environmental
considerations, induced settlements, compaction using vibratory probes, vibro techniques, vibro
equipment, vibro compaction and replacement process, vibro systems and liquefaction,
soil improvement by thermal treatment, preloading techniques, surface compaction,
introduction to bio technical stabilization.
3. Grouting: Chemical, systems, operations, applications, compaction, application and limitations,
plant for preparing grouting materials, jet, geometry and properties of treated soils and
4. Stabilization: Soil improvement by adding materials, lime, flyash, cement and other chemicals
and bitumen, sand column, stone column, sand drains, prefabricated drains, lime column,
soil?lime column, stabilization of soft clay or silt with lime, bearing capacity and settlement of
treated soils, improvement in slope stability, control methods.
5. Expansive soils: Problems– tests for identification – methods of determination of swell pressure.
Improvement– Foundation techniques.
1. Raj, P.P. Ground improvement techniques, Laxmi Publications, New Delhi
2. P. Purushothama Raj, Ground improvement techniques, Laxmi Publications, Bangalore.
1. Bureau of Indian Standards, Selection of ground improvement techniques for foundation in weak
soils?guidelines, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi.
2. Civil Engineering and Construction Review, Foundations Geosynthetics and ground
improvement, Civil Engineering and Construction Review, New Delhi.