NIT Hamirpur Syllabus GEOSYNTHETICS
1. Reinforced Earth: History, field of applications, natural fibers, overview of Geotextiles,
Geomembranes, Geogrids, Geonets, Geowebs, Geomats and Geocomposites and economic
aspects of their applications.
2. Materials & Manufacturing: Production of Geotextiles, composites, physico? mechanical,
hydraulic and chemical properties. Functions of Geosynthetics, fluid transmission, filtration,
3. Soil Reinforcement: Principle of soil reinforcement, shear strength of reinforced soil, theoretical
strength dels, factors affecting, requirements on synthetic reinforcement, installation
4. Calculation methods: Stability of , embankment, retaining walls.
5. Applications: Geosynthetics in Roads and Railways, drainage system ? Control of groundwater
level, dewatering and reclamation of land, Geomembranes ? for lining application, Management
and maintenance of Geosynthetic structure.
1. Shukla,Sanjay Kumar, Geosynthetics and their applications, Thomas Telford, London.
2. Mandal J.N. Geosynthetics world, Wiley Eastern, New Delhi.
3. Varma,C.V.J. Engineering with Geosynthetics, Central Board of Irrigation and Power, New Delhi.
4. Varma,C.V.J. Directory of Geosynthetics in India, Central Board of Irrigation and Power, New