IT Hamirpur Syllabus WATER POWER ENGINEERING
WATER POWER ENGINEERING
1. Hydro Power Development: Sources of energy and their comparative study, investigations and studies for hydropower development, Environment and hydropower development, estimation of available water power, flow and power duration curves, firm power and secondary power, plant capacity, installed capacity, constraints in hydropower development, operation and maintenance of hydropower plants, small hydropower development.
Classification of hydro?power plants based on storage characteristics, operating head, load capacity, Principal components of hydro?electric scheme. Storage and pondage, economic analysis of storage capacity, aspects of cost allocation for different purposes, reservoir operation using flow duration and flow mass curves.
2. Hydro electric plants: Layout of hydropower plants, types of power houses, various
components, investigations and studies, safety requirements.
Storages zones of a reservoir, reservoir sedimentation, trap efficiency, life of a reservoir,
principle of desilting, design of desilting basins.
Alignment and location of various types of intakes, trash?racks, design of intake structures.
Conveyance channels and tunnels, water hammer, surge tanks, design of surge tanks,
penstocks classification and layout, hydraulic design of penstocks, hydraulic valves and
gates, tail race channels.
Hydraulic Turbines and their classification, parameters and characteristic curves of turbines,
selection of turbine, draft tubes, governing of turbines.
3. Economics of hydro power installation: Engineering feasibility, political consideration,
economic feasibility, analysis of cost, cost of hydro power, preparation of pre?feasibility
report, detailed project report, cost and estimate report.
Books Recomended :
1. Hydro?electrical Engineering : Creager and Justin
2. Water Power Engineering : Barrows
3. Water Power Development (Vol.?I and II) : Mosony L. Emil
4. Hydro –Electric and Pump storage Plants – MG Jog , Wiley Eastern Limited
5. Micro Hydroelectric Power Stations – By L. Monition,
6. Hydro Power Plant Familiarization? NPTI Publication.
7. Water power engineering?The theory, investigation and development of water powers
BY DANIEL W. MEAD, Member ASCE, McGRAW?HiLL BOOK