NIT Hamirpur Syllabus Design of Hydraulic Structure
NIT Hamirpur Syllabus DESIGN OF HYDRAULIC STRUCTURE
DESIGN OF HYDRAULIC STRUCTURE
1. Canal head works: Layout, selection of site for diversion head work, design of weirs and barrages
on permeable foundation, Bligh’s creep theory, Khosla’s method of independent variables, silt
2. Canal falls: Necessity and location of canal falls, types, design of Sarda and Glacis falls, energy
dissipation devices and arrangement.
3. Canal regulation works: Canal head regulators and cross regulators.
4. Cross drainage works: Selection, design aspects of aqueducts, siphon aqueducts, supper passages,
canal siphon and level crossings.
5. Storage works: Investigation and planning for reservoirs, capacity and yield, storage works, types
of dams and their choice, selection of suitable site.
Gravity dams: Boreet in time, two dimensional design, stability criteria and foundation treatment.
Earth dams: Design aspects, seepage through earth dams, control seepage, filters.
Arch dams: Constant angle and constant center arch dams (simple design and sketch), buttress and
multiple arch dams (principle and sketch).
6. Spillway and stilling basins: Spillway capacity, energy dissipation below spillways, stilling basins,
gates and valves aerators.
1. Fundamentals of Irrigation: Bharat Singh
2. Irrigation Engineering and Hydraulics Structures: S.R.Sahasrabudhe
3. Theory and Design of Irrigation Structures Vol.I and II: R.S.VarshneyCE ? 4