NIT Delhi ECE Syllabus Part IV
DATA ACQUISITION SYSTEMS Credits
Acquisition systems – configurations – components – analog multiplexers and sample and hold circuits – specifications and design considerations. Digital data acquisition systems and analog Data Acquisition systems – specifications – characteristics monolithic / hybrid DAS –error budget of DAS and ADAS:
1. Users Handbook of D/A and A/D Converters- E.R. HNATEK
2. Data Converters – G.B. CLAYTON
Course No. EC 415 TELEMATICS Credits: 3
Basic telephone system, Telephone exchange, Telephone network – structures, services, standards, trunking, message, circuit and packet Switching, electronic switching, Digital Switching, space switches, Time switches, hybrid switching, time division switching networks, single stage, two stage, three stage and four stage networks, non blocking networks, Functions of control unit, call processing functions, common control, SPC control software, Telephone circuit, electronic telephone, Feature phone, speaker phone, ISDN phone, key telephone system, PBX, PC answering machine, 2 wire , 4 wire circuits, echoes, digital transmission, PCM – TDM, trans-multiplexer, synchronous digital hierarchy, Customer line signaling, PCM signaling, Common Channel signaling, CCITT signaling system No.7, ISDN- rates, channels and user interfaces, Applications, broadband networks, SONET rates and benefits, optical components, SONET/SDH network topology and hierarchy, broadband services and rates, path, line and section, STS-1 frame structure, floating frames, overhead.
1. Telecommunications switching, Traffic and Networks.– JE FLOOD, Pearson Education, 2002.
2. ISDN and B-ISDN, W. STALLINGS, 3/e, PHI, 1995.
3. Introduction to Telecommunications: Voice, data & Internet, MARION COLE, Pearson, 2002.
4. Digital Telephony, J BELLAMY, 2nd edition, John Wiley, 2001.
Course No. EC 416 DIGITAL CONTROL SYSTEMS Credits: 3
State Equations and State Transition Equations of Continuous and Digital Systems , Solution of the Time – Invariant Discrete State Equation by the Z – Transformation, Relation Between State Equation and Transfer Function, state Diagram, stability of digital control systems: Comparison of Time Responses of Continuous – Data and Digital Control Systems, Correlation between time response and Root Locations in the S-Plane and the Z-Plane, Effect of the pole – Zero configurations in the Z-plane Upon the Maximum Overshoot and peak time of transient Response of Sampled – Data Systems, Root Loci for Digital Control Systems. Steady State Error Analysis or Digital Control Systems, Nyquist plot, Bode diagram , Gain margin and Phase Margin, Gain – phase diagram and Nichols Chart, Digital Controller, Design of Digital Control Systems with Digital Controllers through the Bilinear transformation, Root Locus diagram, Digital PID Controller, Design of Digital Control systems with deadbeat response.
1. Digital Control Systems, BENJAMIN C.KUO Holt, Rinehart and Winston, Inc, 1980.
2. Digital Control Systems, M.GOPAL, New Age. Int., 1992.
Course No. EC 417 DSP SYSTEMS & ARCHITECTURES Credits: 3
Programmable DSP architectures, multiport memory, Special addressing modes, on chip peripherals, Architecture of TMS 320
C5X, Bus structure, programme controller, CALU, IDEX, ARCER, ALU, BMAR, onchip memory, TMS320C5X Assembly language, Instruction pipelining in C5X, Applications programs in C5X, Least Square methods for system modeling and filter design, Signal analysis with higher order spectra, Adaptive transversal filters
1. DSP Architectures and Algorithms- B. VENKATRAMANI and M. BHASKAR, TMH, 2002
2. Algorithms for Statistical Signal Processing- JG PROAKIS et al, Pearson, 2002
3. Algorithms for Comm. Systems & Applications – N. BENVENUTO and G. CHERUBINI, John Wily, 2005.
4. Advanced Signal processing Hand book – S. STERCVOPOULOS, CRC Press, 2001
5. Signal Processing, The Model based approach – JANES V.CANDY, McGraw-Hill, 1987.
Course No. EC 451 OPTICAL FIBER COMMUNICATIONS Credits: 3
Overview Of Optical Fiber Communications Optical Fibers,: Signal Degradation In Optical Fibers: Optical Sources: Leds, Laser Diodes : Structure, Materials And Modulation. Optical Coupling: Photodetectors: – Physical Principles, Photo Detector Noise, Detector Response Time, Photodiode Materials. Optical Receiver: Transmission Link Analysis:
1. Optical Fiber Communications, G.KEISER , 3/e, MGH, 1998.
2. Fiber Optic Communication, MYANBUEV, Pearson, 2001
3. Fiber Optic Communication, AGRAWAL, John Wiley, 2002
4. Fiber Optic Communication, PC GUPTA, PHI, 2000
Course No. EC 461 RADAR ENGINEERING Credits: 3
Radar and Radar Equation: Introduction, Radar block diagram and operation, frequencies, applications, CW Radar – Doppler Effect, , FM – CW radar, Pulse Radar Tracking Radar Phased Arrays –Navigational Aids: Direction Finder, VOR, ILS, Loran
1. Introduction Radar Systems,- M.I. SKOLNIK, 2/e, Mc Graw Hill Book Co.,1981
2. Radio Engineering- F.E. Terman, Mc Graw Hill Book Co. (for Chapter 7 only) , 4/e, 1955
Course No. EC 462 WIRELESS NETWORKS Credits: 3
Wireless communication principles, 1G cellular systems-AMPS, 2G cellular systems- DAMPS, CDMA, GSM, CDPD, GPRS, 3G cellular systems- service classes and standards, IMT 2000, future 4G systems-OFDM and services, fixed wireless access- WLL, IEEE 802.16 standards, WLAN- concepts, applications, topology, physical and MAC layers, IEEE 802.11a,b and g, wireless ATM and Adhoc routing- HIPERLAN, Personal area networks(PAN)- Bluetooth and Home RF, wireless geolocation systems, E-911 services, cordless telephony and PCS, Wireless application Protocol (WAP), wireless enterprise networks
1. Wireless networks- R NICOPOLITIDIS et al, John Wiley 2003
2. Wireless networks- PAHLAVAN, P KRISHNA MURTHY, PHI, 2003.
3. Wireless and mobile network architectures- YB LIN & I CHLAMTAC, John Wiley 2001
4. Cellular and mobile Communication Systems, WCY LEE, MGH, 2004
Course No. EC 463 POWER DEVICES AND APPLICATIONS Credits: 3
Course No. EC 464 VLSI SUB SYSTEM DESIGN Credits: 3
Review of Combinational Logic Gates in CMOS: Designing Sequential Logic Circuits: Implementation Strategies for Digital ICs: Coping with Interconnect: Capacitive Parasitics, Resistive Parasitics, Inductive Parasitics,Advanced Interconnect Techniques, Perspective: Networks–on–a–Chip.Timing Issues in Digital Circuits: -Designing of Arithmetic Building Blocks: Designing memory and Array structures:
1. Digital Integrated Circuits – JAN M RABAEY, A. CHANDRAKASAN, B. NIKOLIC , Pearson, 2002
Course No. EC 465 CELLULAR AND MOBILE COMMUNICATIONS Credits: 3
A Basic Cellular System, Why Cellular Mobile Telephone Systems, Service Quality, Mobile Radio Transmission Medium, Mobile Fading, Delay Spread And Coherence Bandwidth, Operation Of Cellular Systems, Hexagonal Shaped Cells, Analog And Digital Cellular Systems.Elements Of Cellular Mobile Radio System Design: Ell Coverage For Signal And Traffic: Cell Site And Mobile Antennas : Cochannel Interference (Cci) Reduction : Frequency Management And Channel Assignement : Hands Offs And Cell Splitting : Digital Cellular Networks :
1. Mobile Cellular Telecommunications: WILLIAM C Y LEE, MGH, 2004
2. Wireless Communications : Principles and practice, 2/e., T. S. RAPPAPORT, Pearson Education Asia, 2002.
3. Mobile Radio Communication, 2/e, R STEELE, John Wiley, 1999
4. Wireless Communication and Networking, JW MARK and W ZHUANG, PHI, 2005.
Course No. EC 466 EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Credits: 3
Course No. EC 467 R.F. DEVICES AND CIRCUITS Credits: 3
Introduction to RF and wireless technology, complexity comparison, design bottle necks, applications, analog and digital systems, basic concepts in RF design, nonlinearity and time variance, ISI, random process and noise, sensitivity and dynamic range, passive impedance transformation, multiple access techniques and wireless standards, mobile RF communication, FDMA, TDMA, CDMA, wireless standards, transceiver architectures, general considerations, receiver architecture, transmitter architectures, transceiver performance tests, case studies, amplifiers, mixers and oscillators, LNAs, down conversion
mixers, cascaded stages, oscillators, frequency synthesizers, power amplifiers, linear and nonlinear power amplifiers, high frequency power amplifiers, large signal impedance matching,
1. RF Microelectronics”, Behzad Razavi , Prentice Hall , 2001.
2. The Design of CMOS Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits, Thomas H. Lee, Cambridge Univ. Press.