NIT Agartala Theory of Machines-I Syllabus
ME-503 THEORY OF MACHINES – I (3-1-0) 4
1. Machine and mechanism: Definition, Mechanism and Machine, Link, Kinematic Pair, Degrees of freedom, Kinematic chain, Various types of joints, Degrees of freedom for plain Mechanism, Inversion, Different types of kinematic chain and their inversions.
2. Velocity and acceleration in mechanism Analysis of Reciprocating Engine mechanism and Four bar mechanism; Relative velocity method; Velocity and acceleration in Four bar, Slider crank Mechanism; Instantaneous center Method, Kennedy’s Theorem, Mechanical Advantage, Corioli’s Acceleration Component, Synthesis of Mechanism, Pantograph, ScottRussel indicator diagram, Daris and Ackermenn steering mechanism, Hook’sjoint.
3. Belt, Rope and Chain drive.
4. Brakes and Dynamometers Introduction, Types of Brakes (Simple Block, Band, Band &Block brake), Breaking of a Vehicle, Dynamometer, Absorption and transmission Dynamometer.
5. Gears and Gear Train Introduction, Gear classification and Terminology, Law of Gearing, Velocity of sliding, Forms of teeth, length of Arc & path of contact, Interference, Minimum number of teeth required to avoid interference, Types of Gear Train, Velocity ratio in different Gear train arrangement, Epicyclic Gear train, compound Epicyclic Gear train.
6. Cams: Introduction; Types of followers; Cam profile Nomenclature; various types of motion of the follower-Uniform motion, Simple Harmonic, Uniform Acceleration and Retardation, Cycloidal; Cam profile construction for various types of followers.
1. Shigley, J.E., Vicker Jr., J.J., Theory of Machines and Mechanisms, McGraw-Hill, 1995.
2. Rao, J.S. and Dukkipati, R.Y., Mechanism and Machine Theory, 2nd ed., Wiley Eastern Ltd.,
3. Rattan, S.S., “Theory of Machine” Tata McGrawHill Publications.
4. Khurmi, R.S., Gupta, J.K., “Theory of Machine” S. Chand