Mumbai University Sample Paper CSE 4th Sem DBMS
(1) Question No.1 is compulsory.
(2) Attempt any four questions out of remaining six.
(3) Make suitable assumptions if needed.
1. (a) How many Codd’s Rules Must a DBMS satisfy to qualify for RDBMS ?
(b) What is shadow Paging? .
(c) What are the desirable properties of decomposition.
(d) List four significant differences between file processing system and Database
2. (a) Discussdifferentsecurityand authorizationmechanism inDatabase Management System. 10
(b) What is deadlock? What are the conditions necessary for deadlock? Discuss various 10
strategies used for handling dead locks.
3. (a) Whatare triggers? Givean example. Illustratethe cases when triggers must not be used. 10
(b) Explain the following Relational Algebraic operations with examples :- 10
(i) Generalized Projectron
(ii) Set Intersection
(iv) Natural Join
4. (a) When it is preferable to use dense index rather than sparce index? Explain your 12
answer. Also explain hash indices.
(b) Explain validation based protocol. 8
5. (a) What do you mean by Authorization and Authentications in DBMS? Explain how it 10
is implemented in SQL with suitable example.
(b) What do you understand by concurrence control? Explain view serializability and 10
conflict serializability ?
6. (a) What is the importance of normalization in database design? Explain 1NF, 2NF..3NF, 10
BCNF and 4NF giving examples.
(b) Answer the following questions:-
(i) Explain the term super key, primary key, candidate key giving suitable example.
(ii) vVhat are the different database users?
(iii) What is attribute? What are the different types of attribute? How ttley are
represented in E-R diagram? .
7. Write short notes on (any four) :-
(a) Data dictionary storages
(b) Time stamp ordering protocol
(d) B+ Tree
(e) Database Administrator.