Mumbai University question papers
IV Sem CSE
Examination June 2010
N.B.:(1) Question No.1 is compulsory.
(2) Attempt any four questions out of remaining six questions
1. a) What is an operating system? Explain in brief the different services which It provides.
b) (i)Explain differentsystemcalls of O.S.
(ii)Differentiatemonolithic.andlayeredstmcture of O.S
2 a) Consider the following set of processes with the length of cpu burst given in Ms.”
Process Burst time Priority
PI 0 3
P2 I I
P3 2 4
P4 I 2
P5 5 2
The processes are assumed to have arrived in the order pI, p2, p3, p4, p5 at time O.
i”) Draw the Gantt chart for FCFS, SJF, Priority and Round Robin (Quantu,-n=l).
ii) Which algorithm results in the maximum average waiting time?
b) Explain multilevel queue scheduling.
3. a) What is deadlock? Explain various deadlock prevention techniques.
b) Explain critical section problem and its different solutions.
4. a) Explain paging in detail. Describe how logical address converted to physical address.
b) Calculate Hit and Faults using various page replacement policies.(FIFO,LRU,OPT). for the following page sequence:
(The page frame size is 3). 2354257387
S. a) Explain different techniques of disk scheduling.
b) Explain process concurrency/synchronization pfwindows O.S.
6. a) Explain file allocation in detail.
b) Explain how memory management takes place in Linux.
7. Write short notes on ~-
ii) Unix File System
iv) Distributed O.S.