Mumbai University question papers
VIII Sem CSE Examination June 2008
N. B.: (1) Question no. t is compulsory.
(2) Attempt any four questions out of remaining questions.
(3) Assumptions made should be clearly stated.
(4) Figures to the right indicate full marks.
(5) All questions carry equal r:narks.
1. (a) Compare and contrast multicomputers with multiprocessors.
b) What are the middleware services offered to the distributed system?
2. (a) Explain the architecture of Message-Queuing system.
(b) What are the advantages of using threads over processes?
(c) Justify “Weighted Reference counting is more efficient to simple reference counting”.
3. (a) Explain the issues related to migrating Resource Segment in process migration.
(b) What is the need of determining Global State? Explain the process in detail.
4. (a) Explain the need of 3-phase Commit.
(b) What is CORBA ? Explain the architecture.
(c) Suggest methods of masking client crashes in a distributed system.
5. (a) Explain the process of Concurrency Control using pessimistic and optimistic Time Stamp Ordering.
(b) Explain Election algorithms for selecting co-ordinator. 10
6. (a) Explain different steps involved in electronic payment for credit card transaction using SET protocol in an E-Commerce application.
(b) Explain Client Centric Consistency models and explain the difference in each. 10
7. Short notes on any two :–‘-
(a) CODA file system
(b) Name Resolution in DNS
(c) Parameter Passing in RMI.