Mumbai University Previous year question papers Operating System for Computational Devices Dec 2008
Mumbai University Previous year question papers
V Sem IT Examination Dec 2008
Operating System for Computational Devices
N.B.: (1) Question No. 1 is compulsory.
(2) Attempt any four questions frorn remaining questions.
(3) Assume data if required.
1. (a) What is systems software? How it differs from application software. Give ego of systems software and explain its advantages to the user.
(b) Explain different types of grammars and ambiguity in grammatic “specification.
2.(a) With respective to aS$embler explain the following :-
(i) Statement Format.
(ii)” Types of assembly language statements
(iii) Advantages of assembly language.
(b) Explain Design of Pass II assembler.
3. (a) Define Macro. What is Macro call and Macro Expansion?
(b) Compare and contrast the properties of macros and subroutines with respect to the following :-
(i) code space requirements
(ii) Execution speed
(iii) Processing required by the assembler.
4. (a) Explain code optimization phase of a compiler.
(b) Explain Non relocatable programs, relocatable programs and Self relocating programs.
5. (a) Explain Resource allocation and User interface functions of the Operating System.
(b) What is multiprogramming operating system? Explain functions of Multiprogramming supervisor.
6. (a) Explain with ego different scheduling policies.
(b) What is Deadlock? Explain deadlock detection algorithm.
7. (a) An OS contains 3 resource classes. The number of resources units in these classes is 7, 7, 10 resp. The current allocation state is as shown below :-
(i) is current allocation state safe?
(ii) could the following request be granted in the current state? p3 requests (0,1,0)..
(b) With ego explain FIFO and LRU page replacement algorithms. For your egowhich algorithm is better.